Healthy Recipe: Sunday Meal Prep-Turkey Shepard's Pie Filling

by - February 19, 2017

I am a bit behind here with my posting, and I will be posting part 2 of my last entry very soon, but since I mentioned that I have been making my lunches for the week on Sundays  I figured I would share my meal prep for this week. This recipe is something I have been making for myself in single servings for a while now for dinners. I decided to make this for my lunches this week,and document it so I could create my next recipe post.

Sunday Meal Prep: Turkey Shepard's Pie Filling

Ingredients:
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey (you can use extra lean if you'd like, but I feel it gets a bit too dry using that for my personal taste)
- 1 container of low sodium chicken broth (you will be adding salt, so low sodium is best)
- Carrots (About 3 large)
- Celery (I used one small bunch)
- 1 Large Vidalia Onion
- Potatoes (I used about 4 small potatoes)
- 2-4 Tbsp Flour
- Cooking Spray
- Salt & Pepper (I used garlic salt)

I used rainbow carrots and a colored potato medley...
that's why the vegetables are so colorful!
First: Chop all of the vegetables except the potatoes into small dices. Put them in a skillet, sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat. Let the vegetables saute for a few minutes.

Second: While the vegetables are cooking, chop your potatoes in a similar size to the other vegetables. Set them aside for a few moments to allow the other vegetables to cook and get soft.If you add the potatoes too soon they will get too soft and the other vegetables will still be a bit hard.

Third: Add the potatoes to the skillet. Salt and pepper the vegetables to taste. Stir everything together and stir again occasionally to prevent burning. Cook until the vegetables are soft. I will sometimes add a little of my stock to the pan and cover the pan to cook them and soften them, but you can simply saute as well. It is your choice.

Fourth: Move the vegetables aside in the pan to make room to put the ground turkey in. Allow the turkey to cook, and stir everything together once it does.

Fifth: When everything in the pan is cooked and mixed together, sprinkle your flour on top. You shouldn't need more than 4 Tbsps. I used 3 when I made mine. Mix the flour in until everything looks coated and is a thicker consistency. 


Sixth: Add chicken broth to the pan and stir immediately. The pan should seem a bit looser at first when you first mix it. Allow the pan to bubble on the stove for a few minutes, it should thicken up into a gravy. If it is too loose, add more flour. Too thick, more stock. This is really all done by eye and personal taste. There are no exact measurements.



Seventh: Allow the filling to cool completely. Once the mixture is cooled, measure equally into 4 separate containers. These will be for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday's lunches. Store in the fridge and take one with you in the morning before you leave for work or school.

I know Shepard's pie traditionally has mashed potatoes on top and is baked, but this is my healthier version. Fat and calories are cut from the dish this way making it a lot healthier. I added the potatoes into the filling instead of mashed potatoes on top to in a way make up for that. This isn't a traditional recipe because a lot of it is not done by measurements, but instead by eyeballing and personal tastes. This recipe ends up being between 350-400 calories per serving (when divided by 4 servings), not too bad for lunch!


As always, thank you very much for reading! I hope you enjoyed :-)

You May Also Like

0 comments