Love in Our Lives

by - May 12, 2019

I want to start this post off by saying Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers, Grandmothers, and Godmothers out there. I am actually writing this post on Saturday this week so I can spend the day with my mom and just posting it on Sunday. I figured I would talk about something related to mothers for today's post. To put it quite frankly I want to talk about love. There are plenty of places in your life that you will find love. A mother is a great example of this, but not the only one. It also comes in all shapes and forms.

One of my absolute favorite song lyrics is by a band that is sadly no longer together. The band was called A Cursive Memory, and the lyric is "love can mend all that it breaks." That line has honestly always stuck out to me since the day I first heard it. It can obviously be read many ways. The first reaction is going to be heartbreak can be mended by a new love, but I don't necessarily feel that is what it means. The love that mends can be found in so many places. A great example would of course be a mother, but any family member or friends would also work. The love you find in yourself is a huge one as well. Love truly is all around us, you just need to know where to look.

When you hear about love in books or movies you are likely given an exaggerated story between a romantic couple. One comes in and does an over the top gesture to win the other over and they both live happily ever after together. I think we all realize this is pretty uncommon, but of course not unheard of. I don't want to go too into that type of love though. That is the obvious example, and romantic love is a nice thing to have in your life. If you don't have it, that is not the end of the world either. It is so cliché to say but you truly do need to love yourself before a true healthy relationship will work. Once you know exactly what your worth is then you will only accept someone who knows that worth as well. 

So you may be wondering what I bring all of this up for. I wanted to take the inspiration of a mother's love and turn that into words of encouragement. Sit and think about how many different examples of love you have in your life. I know not everyone has the same family life as others, some people are not in loving healthy relationships, and some may not have a ton of friends. I am willing to bet, however, that when you hear the word "love" somebody stands out in your mind. Take some time to think about that person. Think about how much they mean to you. Think about the times they helped you mend yourself when you were broken. I am sure there is at least one person that immediately pops into your head. Hold on to that person, tell them how you feel about them, and show your appreciation whenever you can. It is all about quality over quantity.

With this Mother's Day I want you to pick up the phone and call someone you may have not talked to in a while. Send them an email, a text, anything just reach out and tell them you care. You never know what tomorrow may bring so always live for today. I have recently started writing poetry. I have found it quite therapeutic to write about all kinds of things. I am an emotional person as I have said before so poetry has been a nice way to channel that into my writing. In honor of Mother's Day I actually wrote a tanka in honor of my mother. I wanted to close out today's post by sharing it:

familiar song
on the radio
smiling hearts
a past lullaby
now cherished in my heart

You May Also Like

0 comments