Midway Through Whole30: My Thoughts

by - October 07, 2018

I am officially on day 21 of Whole30 today. I know that is actually past the midway point, but I wanted to take some time today to talk about my experience so far. I am obviously not finished and still have a ways to go, but right now I feel I have a pretty good sense of this plan and how I am feeling on it. Here are my thoughts!

I think the top question I have been getting about this plan has been if I have been bored with food. To be quite honest I 100% figured I would be, especially at this point. I can honestly say I haven't been bored with my meals in the slightest bit. I have been really careful to change things up during the week and have plenty of options for myself. When I started this program I thought I was going to have a really hard time with not having dairy or grains. I am a big fan of protein pancakes in the morning or Greek yogurt smoothies. Shockingly this hasn't been a huge deal. I would say that breakfast has been the hardest meal for me to adapt with though. I love fruit, vegetables, lean meats, good whole carbohydrates so honestly I was at an advantage going into this. All things considered I have been doing just fine!

I would say a big thing I have learned about myself during Whole30 is just how much willpower I have. A few months ago my personal trainer suggested I try and cut sugar from my diet. I thought to myself there was no way I could do that since I have such a sweet tooth. Well here I am 21 days later and I am perfectly fine. It isn't even with just sugar either. I have had plenty of temptations cross my path during this time and I was fully able to walk away and say no thank you. I obviously have a heck of a lot more willpower than I thought I did! 

Another big change I have noticed are non scale victories. Whole30 is all about non scale victories. I mentioned in my previous post that one of the rules of this program is not to weigh yourself because the non scale victories are what should really shine through in your success. I have been breaking that rule as I said before because I would report my weight to my trainer. That does not mean, however, I have not noticed some non scale victories already for myself. The most noticeable one I actually saw right before I sat down to write this post. A few months ago I bought some new clothes. All of the shirts were in the same size but for some reason one of the shirts was a bit tight. I decided to try it on again today and it fit me perfectly! I clearly have lost inches from my waist. I cannot wait to see what my ending measurements are! With all fairness, Whole30 is not the only cause of this. I have been working my butt off (literally haha) at the gym for months now and my diet was decent before I started this as well. Whole30 has been keeping me in line that much more. Just to mention another non scale victory, I have been crashing a lot less during the day as well and that's on top of drinking lass coffee as well!

Another victory for me is how my taste buds have changed. I am perfectly happy with the snacks or treats I can have on this plan rather than reaching for something that is not so great for me. One of my favorite treats right now is apples cut up with cinnamon, pumpkin seeds, and almond butter. Today I actually added some raisins to the bowl as well and was completely satisfied with this. I always craved something full of fat and sugar as a dessert but this is teaching me that I will be just fine choosing something a lot healthier when I want something sweet. A lesson I know will help me out quite a bit.

Overall things have been going really well on Whole30 for me. I did not start out on this journey expecting it to be easy and I still wouldn't say it is. I am surprised though at just how well I have been able to stick with it. I figured by now I would have either quit or just been incredibly sick of the food I was eating. I have learned so much about myself so far during this journey and continue to learn more every day. I only mentioned a few here but I want to save some things for my final thoughts in a few weeks! I am so close to finishing up and I know I can do it so sit tight and I will share all my results then! Thank you for sticking by me through this!

You May Also Like

0 comments