Get Up And Get Moving!

by - June 30, 2019


Exercise is no new topic for this blog. I have talked about it in plenty of posts through the years, but I feel it is a topic that should be brought up frequently. In my personal opinion I think exercise is not talked about enough. As a kid/teenager I hardly ever got any exercise because I was clumsy and unathletic. I thought that meant that I had no chance of being active. I feel that many people feel that way. Based on people I know I think most people fall in between two categories: very athletic/always active, and those who hardly ever do anything active. That is a huge problem. Everyone can benefit from getting up and moving more often!

I have been working out with a personal trainer at my gym for over a year now. I know I mention it quite a bit ,and I bet some of you are sick of hearing about it, but I wanted to mention it again at the beginning of this post. Not only has working with a trainer helped keep me consistent with my gym schedule, but it has also introduced me to so many new exercises and equipment at the gym that I am so incredibly confident there now. Over the course of the last two years I went from someone who literally never exercised to somebody that goes to the gym five days a week and even has active rest days in between. I highly suggest it if you have the funds to pay for it! Motivation is key to getting into the gym and starting a routine. Unfortunately for most of us, motivation only lasts so long. You need to get yourself into a routine, so it becomes second nature.

To go off of that a bit more I am going to say that consistency is key when it comes to exercise especially if you are not someone who is naturally athletic. Going to the gym was an absolute chore for me. I had to force myself to go for only two days a week. I can honestly say that most days I look forward to going now. I am human though so some days still feel like a chore. That is when motivation is lacking, and it is up to me to let self discipline come into play. The more you force yourself to keep up the habit, the better chance you are giving it to stick. I honestly could say that that in the past if I had an extremely stressful day at work I would have used that as an excuse to go right home. Now even if I am stressed, I still make sure I go(most of the time at least), have a great workout, and every single time those endorphins help me feel so much better.

So what if you are like I was and just hate being active? It is a huge change to going from sitting most of your day (especially if you have a desk job like myself) to working out five days a week. If you've been following my journey, you'll know I did it gradually. I want to offer some tips: The first is going to be to start small(ish). Start with three days a week or even two. Go for a walk or workout with an exercise video you find on YouTube. I am going to suggest not jumping right in and getting a gym membership. Once you get used to home workouts then move on to the gym where you can extend your abilities and have more machines and materials to use. Find something you enjoy doing and doesn't seem as much of a chore. I had stuck with the elliptical for quite a while before I moved onto other cardio machines and well before I started working with the trainer! Next, do not sell yourself short! I've mentioned this before, but you're probably capable of a lot more than you would expect. Recently my trainer put kettlebell deadlifts I did on one leg on our workout program. I flat out told him he was crazy, and I would never be able to do that and you know what? I did it and fairly well for my first time! He laughed when I got done and told me to not doubt myself.

The most important lesson I am trying to get across here is to get up and get moving. Look, when I first started working out I never in a million years expected I would be back squatting over 100 lbs one day. It is a process though. It took me years to get to the point I am today. You just have to start, keep showing up, and the results will definitely follow. You are not going to wake up one morning and be able to deadlift 200 lbs or even run a mile on the treadmill in under 10 minutes. It all comes with progress. There are so many reasons to get up and get moving and your body as well as your mind/emotions are surely going to thank you for it!

You May Also Like

0 comments