Little Acts of Self-Care: A Book Review

by - June 02, 2019

It has been quite a while since I have done any kind of review on my page. To this day my most successful post on this page to date was the review I did on the Oola tea welcome subscription box. It continues to get weekly reviews and I think that is amazing! This past long weekend my mom and I went to a Barnes and Noble and I found this cute little self-care book on one of the display tables. I flipped through it and it seemed like a nice little book to review for my page. I have written posts regarding self-care in the past, so I thought it would be a perfect fit. 

Little Acts of Self Care by Rebecca Dickinson is a short and sweet book about self-care as clearly stated by the title. To be quite honest the actual cover of the book caught my attention being such a pretty color. It was on a table with books by the same author on similar topics all with colorful covers just as this one. The book is broken up into segments of self-care, the three main being the mind, body, and spirit. There is an introduction in the beginning of course, but then the book sections off into those main areas of self-care. As far as organization I think this book is really well put together. The beginning describes a little about self-care in general and then continues on to each of those three branches. The book is very easy to read and absorb because of this. I finished it in a matter of days. So overall the book is put together and organized nicely. 

As far as the content goes I think you get exactly what is to be expected. This is more so a handbook of sorts rather than a fully detailed book on self-care. Each section had the previously mentioned small branches of self-care and then provided basic examples of how to practice these in your everyday life to add self-care into your routine. As you can see in the picture here I wanted to provide one example of how the book is set up. I chose this one for obvious reasons. You all know just how much I preach about drinking enough water, so to see this in the book was nice. Each example is set up in a similar way. There is some reasoning behind why each act mentioned is important and then some bullet points of little tips and tricks for the reader to incorporate these in their life more. That is pretty much the book in a nutshell.

This is a book review so I want to go over my thoughts on the book of course. Overall this is a nice little book to look through. I don't necessarily think you need to spend the money to own it though. To be quite honest I thought a lot of the book was similar to many things I have said on my blog in previous posts before. That isn't a bad thing of course. Anything that mentions loving yourself more and taking care of yourself more is okay with me. I do think it was exactly what I expected though instead of including anything to wow me. Just a short and sweet book with some tips and tricks mentioned. If you are looking for something more in depth than that, however, I would recommend you look for a longer and more detailed book. It did make me smile though when it mentioned diffusing essential oils in one section since I was doing just that as I was reading. If you are looking for a nice and relaxing blend to diffuse while you read: 3 drops each of lavender, frankincense, and bergamot (pictured). Just a little tip from me!

I would recommend this book to someone that is newly starting out in their self-love and self-care journey. There are a ton of little ways to demonstrate self-care in this book such as exercise, gardening, eating right, and many more. Somebody that may be struggling with how to start a self-care routine and practice would get a lot of use from this book. If you already do a lot of things to help yourself feel good and love yourself a little more, then you can probably skip this one. For the future I would love to hear any book recommendations from any of you! Any book about positivity, self-love, self-care, healthy lifestyles (etc.) are all are welcomed. Anything you might want to see reviewed in the future would be amazing and I will do my best to make it happen! Until then thank you for checking this post out, and make sure you are taking care of and loving yourself every single day!

You May Also Like

0 comments