The Season of Giving

by - December 01, 2019

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone in a flash. I don't know about you but to me every year seems to fly by. It feels like last year's holiday season was going and, and here we are a year later doing it all again. What that means for most people is the season of giving is here. Giving can mean so many different things to everyone. To some it means exchanging gifts with our loved ones. Maybe to others they think of charity work and donations. Time can be given this time of year as well. I think it is only appropriate to dive into this topic just a bit more with the biggest season of giving of all being upon us.

So let's start with the most obvious way of giving in this season, gift giving. I don't know about you but I absolutely love buying gifts for people. It is just so fun picking out something just right for someone I love and it is a great feeling being especially excited to see their reaction when they open it. There is one gift in particular that I am especially excited to give on Christmas Day. I think the most important thing to remember when giving gifts is that the thought that is put into them is the most important thing. Sure it is easy to ask a person what they want exactly and but it but aren't the best gifts surprises? Think back to your favorite gift you have ever received. Was it something you just told the person who gave it to you you wanted? Or was it something that took you completely by surprise? I am guessing most of you will say it was a surprise. Sure it is easy to just spend an extravagant amount of money on a gift, but I am guessing the gifts from the heart are the most appreciated and remembered.

What is another way we can give during this time of year? Well I think the obvious is giving back to our community and helping those in need when we can. I understand that everyone's financial situations are different and that we all have our own expenses but if you can do anything, big or small, it is a wonderful thing to do. When I was out Christmas shopping yesterday I went into a store that was selling special ornaments. Each ornament was $4 and the proceeds went completely to the local food bank. With that purchase was also a discount on your entire order at the store that day. For less than than I usually spend on a cup of coffee at Starbucks I was able to buy an ornament and help out those in need. Sure $4 is a small amount, but that adds up. Think about the Salvation Army buckets at the grocery stores too. Sure most people only throw in their spare change but I am sure it adds up and really helps those who don't have it. My work specifically does and adopt-a-family where we all donate to give a family in need a great Christmas. I get it. The holidays are expensive and hectic, but there are so many ways to help out people that do not have the luxuries we do to have the lovely holiday we get to have each year. Give back when you can. No deed is too small. 

As I said before the holidays can be expensive for us. So what if we really do not have anything physical to give? I think giving our time is just as important. I want you to think back on holidays you spent as a kid or just in the past in general. I am sure the memories mostly revolve around who you spent time with. For example I can think of many different Christmas mornings as a kid. My sister and I sitting on the floor in front of the tree opening gifts. Santa really did use to spoil us. But do I remember every little physical gift I opened? Not at all. What I remember is sitting on the floor with my sister while my parents watched us and the smiles. I remember having to sit at the top of the stairs while mom made sure everything was ready, eager to run down and see what was left under the tree. I remember decorating sugar cookies and drinking hot chocolate with friends as we laughed and shared stories. I remember my niece and nephew in their cute Christmas outfits coming over to open gifts and the chaos that ensues. Always remember that your time is the best gift you can give of all. 

I know I am incredibly blessed in order to Christmas shop and give my loved ones what I can. I also love that I am in a place to give back when I can. I admittedly have a pretty big heart and I know not everyone is the same way. Like I said, I know we are all in different financial situations so we can only do what we can. That is the most important thing. Do your best with the means you have. If you can't give physical gifts, give your time. Give your thoughts and prayers. Give a smile to a stranger on the street. You never know who might be having a bad day and your kindness will bring a smile to their face. This holiday season just remember that giving is one of the greatest gifts of all that you give yourself as well.

You May Also Like

0 comments