What the World Needs Now

by - May 31, 2020

Love, sweet love. Okay I am sorry that was a horrible joke. If you do not get the joke I made between the title of this post and the first sentence then I suggest you minimize this page and listen to some music that is older than the early 2000s. Just as I talked about last week we all have different ways with coping with things. For me and my family humor has always been one of them. Instead of a fully sad and tearful mourning of a lost loved one, we choose to talk about the good times and laugh about the funny stories. Not everyone is like this of course so it has gotten us plenty of dirty looks and judgements through the years, but I digress. I am writing today with a heavy heart. I am writing today something I feel I need to do my part and do. I like to think that writing is my super-power in some ways, so I want to use that in a way that can hopefully help others, as I always have tried to do.

I am going to start off by saying I am not here to judge anyone for their opinions, views, actions, or words. I have always overall kept this page a safe place for all. Sure I have given advice that reflects my views (wear those dang masks to the grocery store) but I do not feel I have ever pushed my political views or opinions on world events ever. I want to keep things that way even today but that does not mean I still cannot speak my mind. Let's go back to the title and the horrible joke I made. The world genuinely does need a heck of a lot more love in it. Love has never hurt anyone. Love never fails. Love comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes, colors, genders, species, and forms. Do not mistake my meaning of love either. Love is respect. Love is understanding. Love is seeing differences but ignoring them because they mean nothing. The one thing you can never have too much of is love.

So what is the opposite of love? Well hate of course. In order to talk about love and overcoming hate, we have to talk about where the problem stems from. Hate lives in so many people's hearts and that is such a horrible thing. I used to have a lot of hate in my heart as well. Hate for not only things around me but for myself. Some of you may be familiar with the TV show "Once Upon a Time" that was popular a few years ago. I remember one episode where the evil queen shows that after Snow White took an action out of hatred, her once pure heart now had a spot of darkness in it. Sadly I think we all in some ways have that spot on our hearts. Once childhood innocence is lost, we truly can never go back. But what we can do is keep that small spot of darkness from becoming a fully dark heart. If you live every day full of hate then please take some time to reevaluate and decide what it really is in your life that you have hatred towards. What are the reasons you have that hate in the first place? What specifically caused this? I think if we all did this it would open our eyes quite a bit. Anger is often hurled in the wrong direction. Anger is justified for many reasons, but it is also not justified as well. If your anger directly hurts somebody else who is innocent then the real problem falls within you.


Do you know what a direct result of love is? Compassion. Unfortunately unless you live in a cheesy movie, it is impossible to wake up in the body of someone different than yours. We can never truly walk in someone else's shoes and understand what they struggle with and what their life has been like. Compassion is a cure for this. Telling somebody "I may not understand what you are going through, but I can do my best to let you be heard, and change what you are going through," is compassion. Many times people just want to be heard. That sometimes means staying quiet and not talking over them as they speak. That also means truly listening and absorbing things and doing your best to see things their way. Until you have lived through what they go through, then you cannot fully understand but you can have compassion. The world is never going to be negatively affected by more love. When you love someone you are willing to listen to their struggles and mourn with them. When you love someone you take on their struggles and feel pain from them as well. We all enjoy the love stories in movies that leave us with a smile on our face but what those movies leave out are the fights and the misunderstandings. They leave out the nights the couples go to bed angry at each other which in turn means they leave out the makeup kisses. Love does not mean we always need to get along. But what it does mean is we respect one another. I obviously used the romantic love as my example here, but this goes for love in all shapes and forms.

So what am I really going on about here? Why am I spewing all this talk about love when there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of it going around the rest of your feeds at the moment? For that very reason. I saw a tweet recently (I couldn't find it again to credit the person, so if you know it let me know so I can) that said we all need to use our own individual weapons during this chapter of a history book we are currently living in. As I said in my intro, words are my self-proclaimed super-power. Words are my weapon, and positivity is the ammo (wow sorry even I cringed with that horrible metaphor). I do not have superhuman strength nor am I someone that can be out shouting things from the rooftop. What I can do is spread the same message I do every week to the small following I have with my page here. It may not be much, but that is all it takes sometimes. If just a small portion of us went out and spread our love to the world, it would certainly have a domino effect. With each new generation, more love is born everyday and hate is snuffed out little by little. We can change that even faster by showing compassion and empathy. In the end, we all bleed the same. 

You May Also Like

0 comments