Lacking Motivation

by - August 02, 2020

Here we are on yet another Sunday afternoon. Is it just me or are the weeks just flying by at this point? 2020 feels like it is flying by and dragging on simultaneously. I know different areas around the word are in different stages of reopening, but one big thing that is still going on around me is the fact that gyms are still closed with no signs of when they are going to open back up. I know some people that have been completely unaffected by this, while others, like me, cannot wait to get back to the gym. But we will get more into that later. What I wanted to talk about overall today is motivation. 

Motivation is not a new topic for this blog at all. I think for most of us motivation comes and goes in stages so it seems pretty appropriate to revisit this topic from time to time. Motivation is very important to give us a little jump start when working towards your goals. I know when I am suddenly faced with a new challenge I get a nice big wave of motivation and I go all in. For example when I first started writing poetry and when I first was accepted for publication I was cranking out poems right and left. Now I write at a pretty normal pace. It was the excitement of being published and growing my skills in poetry that made me go into overdrive. Now there is nothing wrong with that at all. I am all for people growing their passions and learning new skills, but the tricky part of motivation is it does fade. With my writing motivation comes and goes, but I always push through and keep going no matter what. Sure I may take a week off here and there with writing all together, including skipping posts here, but writing will always be important to me so I keep going no matter what.

The bigger example I can offer here is the one I mentioned in my intro: The gym/working out. I have really been struggling with this one. Working out from home is just not for me and I am in desperate need of getting back to the gym where I can use machines and weights again. I am so lucky to have my trainer sending me workouts still but I am just overall lacking the motivation I need to get in a decent workout from them. I very much am someone who needs a place dedicated for exercise rather than just doing it in my home. I know a number of people that are thriving with exercising from home though which is great! Now I am not going to be offering up advice here since this is a current struggle with me but what I can do is let you know you are not alone in this struggle if you too suffer with it. Just remember that tomorrow is a new day and we can always improve these struggles piece by piece.

So why is motivation so important? Well as I already mentioned motivation gives us a jumpstart to our goals. If it wasn't for motivation you may never do that first workout, or write that first poem, or even start school again to work towards a better future. If you are not motivated to some level you probably will never take a single step towards your goals in life. Motivation is so very important, but it is not the only requirement to succeed in life. Think of it as the gas in your car. The car will not move at all if there is no gas in it, but the engine, and the wheels, etc. are just as important to move the car to your destination. Motivation starts your metaphorical car, but your discipline and desire are what keep it moving along the road. If you are struggling with this like I am just work every day to improve yourself and work toward your goals, even if that means completely starting over.

Motivation may be taking a toll on you quite a bit right now since life is still so very opposite of normal. I think it is important to remember that everything is temporary (Yes, I know those are The Maine lyrics Nicole and Stephanie 😉) this storm will run out of rain and we will move on to what life has in store post-COVID. On the bright-side for me, I know once the gym reopens I am going to be so excited to be back that my motivation will be at an all-time high to get back to the strength I was before. I quite honestly almost skipped writing this week because I had some writer's block and then decided to just write about that itself. Take motivation whenever it comes to you and you will certainly be on the right road!

You May Also Like

0 comments