Christmas Traditions

by - December 20, 2020

Well the holidays are officially here. This will be my last post before Christmas day so I wanted to do something in honor of that this week. All the holidays are all about traditions. We all have them to some degree, even if they have faded through the years. This year especially though a lot of our traditions had to be put on hold (or should have because of the pandemic but I am not here to give a lecture). I wanted to talk a little about that today. There are so many ways it can still feel like Christmas even if things are a little different this year. There are so many things we can still do, and new things we can do this year, in order to truly keep the Christmas Spirit alive.

Let's start with the traditions that do not need to change this year. My family in particular has so many different holiday traditions that we have kept going through all of the years, but we also like to make new ones from time to time as well. Of course Covid did not change the fact that we put up our pretty tree, decorated it with all the ornaments we have collected over the years, and that we light it every night. We still sent Christmas cards, we still put up all kinds of decorations and just made our living room look like the North Pole. All of that did not need to change at all. My mom and I have watched all kinds of Christmas movies and specials on TV just like we do every year, and we are both looking forward to watching "White Christmas" together on Christmas Eve like we do every single year. So many traditions just like these did not need to change at all, which keeps the Christmas spirit alive.

What about traditions that needed to be revised a little? We still baked Christmas cookies this year, but not quite as many as we usually do. We skipped the cut out cookies since Kristin, Gina, and Desiree couldn't come over to help decorate. We of course won't be exchanging cookies as much this year, so we simply cut back, but I still had a lot of fun in my new Christmas apron baking! I know a lot of families won't be together this year on the holiday, but I know many of them are making due with what they can. My extended family is planning a virtual holiday, and I am sure many are doing the same. Just because you can't be with someone physically this year does not mean you can't see them! There are so many ways you can just tweak your usual traditions around in order to make them work this year, and unless your family gathering is small, I highly suggest you do!

Now what about the things we simply cannot do this year? A great example for me would be my office Christmas party. I look forward to it every year but there was of course no way to make that possible this year since my office is pretty big. All the more reason to look forward to next year's party right? Some traditions just cannot happen this year sadly, but that doesn't mean you can't still do something in its place! Instead of going to an event you can take a drive with your family to look at Christmas lights. Sure we can't have a big party, but why not instead take the night that party would have been and have a Christmas movie night with your family. Pop some popcorn, make some hot chocolate, and cozy up together in your pajamas. There are plenty of new traditions we can all make this year in place of the old ones we simply would not be safe doing this year. I promise you it will be worth it in the end if it means keeping everyone you love safe.

I want to end this on a positive note because that is just what I do. Instead of dwelling on the traditions we can't do this year, we should instead be grateful we are still on this earth to celebrate Christmas. This time of year is all about giving and goodwill towards all. Instead of complaining about what you cannot do why not use that energy to make the holiday brighter for someone else. I said all this last week, but I just think it is so important to say. It is not too late to donate to a good cause, buy a toy for a child in an underprivileged family, donate food to a food bank, etc. There are so many ways to celebrate the season of giving not just this year but every year. With the holiday rush we all at times become blinded by the commercial aspects of Christmas, but just remember to think of the true intent of this holiday, giving. Even if you do not have a traditional holiday, there are still plenty of ways to celebrate. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas if you celebrate, and I will see you next week to wrap up this stressful year!

You May Also Like

0 comments