Making Plans

by - May 30, 2021

 I know, I know. I just took a break back in March, and here I am coming back after taking 3 more weeks off. That was not intentional by any means, May was just such a busy week for me. First it was Mother's Day and I did not plan ahead and write a post before Sunday that week, then the following weekend I moved and was exhausted, and then last weekend I was on a trip for one of my longest friend's bachelorette weekend. If anything, however, this unplanned break from writing only inspired the topic for today's post, and that is that sometimes things just do not go according to plan, and that sometimes that is for the best.

Moving is a perfect example to start with for this topic. Some of you may know that I had fully planned on moving out of my parents house last Spring, but 2020 was wild so that obviously did not happen. Instead it happened almost exactly a year later. It absolutely has worked out for the best though as I have found a place I love and have settled in nicely already and the situation just overall is really good. Another pro to the original plan not working out is it gave me even more time to prepare. I had pretty much every last thing I needed in order to be living in my own place from dishes to cleaning supplies and everything in between. Certain things I overlooked when preparing a year prior, and I saved a lot more money in the meantime as well. Even actual moving day we had a few things that I did not perceive happening but everything worked out for the best.

I think another great example, which is also an extension of my last example, would be 2020 as a whole. I know I keep bringing this up, but I think it is important to remind ourselves just how strong we have been over the past year. All sorts of plans had to change last year from trips, to weddings, to birthing plans of new mothers. It is important we mourn the loss of those things in our lives and realize it is okay to still be upset. If you had to re-plan a wedding, just think of how much nicer it is going to be now that mask restrictions have been lifted and your guests no longer have to be Covid tested. If you have to re-plan a trip like me, just keep in mind it will only be that much sweeter because of the wait, and you still have that to look forward to. If you had a baby during the peak of Covid, yes nothing is going to change that but hey, silver lining, when your child is older and acting up you can remind them you gave birth in a global pandemic! 😉 

Take some time and think about your life and how your planning has changed it. Trust me I am someone who plans ahead. I go to a new restaurant and I have already looked at the menu 3 times over online before we get there. I ask what clothes I should wear to something even if I know the event is pretty casual. I ask how we are going to split the check before even going to a restaurant if I am going out with a group of friends. I am very much a person who likes to have control over certain situations, but a lesson I even need to learn myself is that things almost always are not going to fully go to plan. Things are going to pop up that you are not anticipating. Planning is a great tool to have but there is always the risk of something going wrong. I am sure you can think of many times in your life that this has happened.

Overall I think the best practice is to realize that you can not fully control life. You can plan and plan and plan but there will always be that risk of something completely throwing a wrench in those plans. Life absolutely is unpredictable and we never really know what is going to happen next. I mean even as someone who does like to have a plan ahead of me, I feel like life would be incredibly boring if it always went 100% as expected every single day of my life. The important thing always is how we handle this. Do not panic or make any rash decisions. Life truly has a way of surprising us, and if a problem arises you just may be surprised at how easy the solution is. 

You May Also Like

0 comments