My Weight-Loss Journey Intro.

by - June 13, 2014

The subject of obesity and weight-loss seems to constantly be present. Whether a commercial with a new sort of crazy diet system or supplement is splashed across the television screen, or a new article is popping up with new statistics on just how dangerous extra body fat really is, the topic is without a doubt a relevant one. My name is Amy Maier and throughout most of my life I have been obese, but about a year and a half ago I decided to change that.

 

Senior Prom, June 2010

I am only 22 years of age but the majority of those years I've spent being obese. I honestly can't even say when I really started gaining the weight because it has been so long and I was so young. The later years of elementary school was when I started to realize that I was heavier than a lot of my peers and naturally I've had a lot of self esteem issues most of my life because of it. I will admit that I was very lucky in the sense that I (for the most part) was not bullied during my teen years because of it. Once I hit college I was already over 300 lbs. and it didn't bother me all that much.
The only main issue that has stemmed from my weight would be that I am incredibly shy, but other than that I really didn't think about it too much. Looking back now makes me realize just how scary that is.

On February 19th, 2013 I woke up and decided something needed to change. I had a long late conversation with a friend about losing weight the previous night and it really made me think. Being so overweight was really putting a toll on my body and considering there is a long history of diabetes in my family I figured I was tempting fate and something had to change. I decided to start slowly and hope something worked for me. I went out and bought a new scale the next day and was very alarmed to see the number “345” glowing red between my feet, which was a lot higher than expected. My mind was officially made, I absolutely needed to change certain aspects and habits in my life.

Today, about a year and 4 months later, I have lost around 118 lbs and still have a little ways to go. I honestly cannot say what clicked in me all of a sudden, but thank God it did! I want to use this blog to tell my story and record my past progress (and future progress seeing that I am still about 70 lbs away from my goal) in hopes that I can help someone struggling the way I was and
explain just how I had success naturally. No gimmicks, crash-diets, or pills (although I will admit to using a raspberry ketone pill for about a month when I first started. Trust me, they didn't do a thing), just portion control, healthy food, and exercise. This blog will by no means provide a magic answer to the road to weight-loss, but I am hoping my story will set a spark in someone just as one did in me.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. So proud of you Amy! You are kicking butt! Can't wait to see this blog unfold. :-) - Love Jessica W.

    ReplyDelete