Dealing with Stress

by - April 12, 2017

I apologize on my lack of posting on my page here lately. The last few weeks in March were pretty hard for my family and me, as we suddenly lost my Grandmother. To be quite honest, not only was this obviously a hard and emotional time for the family, but it was busy as well, especially for my mother and aunts and I admire them all so much for dealing with everything as well as they did.

With all of that being said it inspired my next topic for my page, but first let me go a little more into detail about my experiences during that time. For the week or so that everything was going on, it was of course an emotional time, but it also was a busy time. That meant not a lot of time to plan out meals which also resulted in eating not so great during that time. It also meant not going to the gym as well. I am not going to make a single excuse. Quite frankly with everything that was going on I just did not want to go and did not care about what I was eating that much. It happens… we are only human and most of us cannot stay on track 100% of the time. Life does sometimes get in the way.

Stress is a pretty nasty part of life. So many health problems can result from stress and it is sometimes unavoidable. Trying to avoid it can also have the reverse effect. Last week I found myself to be having what I believe was an anxiety attack. I won’t go too far into it, but my entire drive to the gym I just had a sense of impending doom that I couldn’t shake, and while I was working out I suddenly felt like I couldn’t breathe properly. I listened to my body and stopped my workout and went to the locker room to calm down. Just on a whim I looked up symptoms of an anxiety attack and it seemed pretty clear to me that that is what was going on. Holding onto so much stress and not dealing with it was exactly what I had been doing over the last few weeks, and it caught up to me.

There are honestly a lot of things to do to deal with stress, but the most important thing is taking the time away from your stressor to relax and calm your mind. Here are a few things that I do:


·         Reading a book: I know this one seems like a predictable answer, but to me if the book is a good one, the story absolutely captures me. When I take an hour or so to read a book I am really loving, it is almost like I am transported right into the pages. I am actually reading a story right now that has me feeling that way. Escaping to a different world is a great way to escape your problems for a little while.

·         Listening to your favorite music: I am one of those people that not only belts out songs at the top of their lungs while driving, but I also throw in a dance move or two (especially if a boyband song comes on!) I am half expecting to find a video of myself online that someone else sneaks of this haha… but don’t worry I stay focused on the road! It really is amazing how nice it feels to just let loose like that from time to time.

·         Essential Oils: Alright my sister Cheryl just recently got me into this whole thing, but I was using them in a diffuser for a few months at night before she did (yes Cheryl I know I was using health store oils which are bad). If you are really stressed it is sometimes really hard to sleep, and I am one that always had trouble sleeping. I use a diffuser at night and use some lavender oil and I more recently started adding just a few drops of cedarwood oil. Usually it relaxes me right away and I am able to drift right asleep. There are so many blends and singles that are for the purpose of relaxation and relieving stress and so many different ways to use them, but just make sure you buy the right ones.

·         Yoga: I honestly haven’t done yoga in so long and I really need to start up again. Unless I am doing a pose that is a little too advanced for me, yoga seriously relaxes me SO much, especially at the end when most videos (I have never been to classes but I am assuming they do the same) do the final rest and meditation.

·         Make time for YOU: All of the above options fall under this category as well, but I thought this should be a bullet on its own. Do whatever makes you happy and will be an escape for a while. Some people love to cook, some love to workout, some love to paint… I could go on and on. Take some time to do something you love and relax your mind from your stressors.
Stress comes from so many different sources and from so many different directions. It is so easy to let it overcome you. We are all guilty of it. The most important thing to remember, however, is to not let it overcome your life. Life doesn’t always have to be full of worry and fear of the unknown.

As always thank you for reading. I plan to get on track and blog on a more frequent basis again.

You May Also Like

0 comments