Excuses

by - March 24, 2018

I had a few ideas in mind about what to post this week, and decided the one main idea I had needed a little more time and dedication to think about. Today's topic is something that is and has been on my mind for a little while. I think it is something everybody is guilty of at some point or another, and this is making excuses. 


Making excuses can really be a major or minor thing. Maybe you are really tired or just not feeling like going out one night, so you come up with the excuse that you are sick or tired to cancel your plans that evening. Maybe you are making a silly excuse as to why you forgot to pick up milk at the store after work. For the most part, as long as they are few and far between, those types of excuses are not all that terrible. Sure, if they are happening a lot it could very well effect your relationships and such, but physically they won't do all that much damage. Making excuses when it comes to your health could become a major issue.

I know for a long time I always used the "oh I will start next week," excuse when it came to my health. I would always start my new health plan next week. I would always be going back to the gym next week. Starting Monday, I would always be meal prepping again and planning out my dinners. It was always something I was going to do come the following Monday. Well as you can guess, that Monday always became the following Monday. Week after week after week. This honestly went on for a long time as I think it does for so many people. Saying you are going to do something is very different than finally doing it. Making excuse after excuse as to why you haven't started eating right, why you haven't joined or started going back to a gym, why you haven't started planning your meals yet is a huge thing that is only going to hurt yourself.

Think about it, when people push you to better yourself, with the exception of a few bitter people, they are only doing so because they care about you. Sure, you need to be the one to make the decision and to really want it, but when people push you it is usually only a form of tough love. If you are giving them a million excuses as to why you can't do what they are pushing you toward, what is the end product of that? Who is that directly effecting? You. The only thing that happens when you make excuses is sabotaging yourself. The people that push you are only doing it out of love in most cases. I completely understand that this can be frustrating, but by telling them an excuse just to get them off your back for a little while is only going to hurt you in the long run, and honestly most times people see right through those excuses. 

It is so much easier to go home after work, have dinner, throw your pjs on and relax for the rest of the night. It is just as easy to pick up a greasy pizza instead of having to cook for the night. I completely understand that. My diet still isn't perfect, but it is getting better all the time. I hated going to the gym that first month or so, and although it isn't necessarily my favorite thing in the world to do, it is just a habit at this point, and I always feel so good after I go. My routine is not perfect by any means but I am putting in the effort to get a little healthier every day. I finally stopped making excuses about my health and decided to take control over it. I realized that I was only hurting myself and my health by constantly making excuses to justify my bad habits. That was the best decision for me, and I recommend you doing the same. Stop making excuses and take the first steps you need to become a better and healthier you. That goes for any aspect of life as well, not just your health.

You May Also Like

0 comments