Me-Time

by - June 10, 2018

Now that the warm weather is here in the area and summer is right around the corner, I think it is pretty common for people to be a lot busier. Between summer sports games with the kids in your life, to bonfires with friends, to summer parties, I feel there is usually always something going on in the summer. That is great and it is always great to be around people you love and enjoying life, but I also think me-time is just as important. 

Taking some time to just be with yourself is very important to me. Me-time can be so many different things as well. Reading, writing, painting, or even just quietly reflecting on things to yourself, are all great examples. I personally love to go out to my garden. Just today after going to brunch at a friend's house I went out to my garden to plant a few more seedlings, did a little weeding, checked on all the plants already out there, and gave it a nice drink of water. Ten minutes of my time was really all it took to go out and have a little time in my thoughts to do something I enjoy doing. I am not in the room alone as I write this blog, but even I would consider this me-time as well. I am quietly writing on my laptop to myself focusing on something I love to do. I used to be pretty anti-social and admittedly took too much time to myself. Now I have a nice mix and spend time with friends or family, but I also make sure to work in some time to spend with myself as well.


I find this to be so important for so many reasons. The first and most obvious reason is to get to know yourself. That may sound like a silly concept, but you may be surprised how much reflecting on yourself will really teach you. Do some yoga, mediation, or just lay down and close your eyes and reflect on your day. Those are some great calming examples of spending time with yourself and to really become aware of your feelings. The key to leading a positive life and loving yourself is to really be in touch with yourself and knowing yourself very well.

Me-time also gives you some time to do some things you may not normally make the time to do during your busy week. I know I personally haven't been reading nearly as much as I would like to because of my busy schedule. I go to work, to the gym, get home and have dinner, shower, and then soon after it is time for bed. Setting some time aside on the weekend works wonders for being able to make time for things when your schedule is just as packed. Every Sunday I sit and write for this page and that is also a great example of time I put aside to quietly reflect on whatever topic I choose to write about while doing something I love to do.

My main message I want to really get across is to not feel guilty if you want to take some time to step back from your busy life to do something you enjoy. I know so many people have such busy constant schedules that they do not normally have time to do this, but if you find some here and there it will work wonders for you. I highly recommend doing so and taking a small amount of time out of your week to sit back and relax from everything else that is going on. I promise you will not regret it and I am willing to bet you will learn a lot about yourself along the way.

You May Also Like

0 comments