Small Goals for a Bigger Picture

by - June 03, 2018

I honestly have a bit of writer's block today. Now that I am updating this page every week, I am needing to come up with more topics for posts more often. I actually have many plans in mind, but most of those I need more time and work dedicated into before I can post about them. One example is the next book review I want to do. I am so close to finishing the book and will review it as soon as I do, so I obvioulsly couldn't do that this week. I also have a few ideas for recipes and meal posts as well, but those also need a little more preparation.With all that being said, I thought today would be a good day to write about goals.

Goals can come in many shapes and forms. For example, the different topics I have in mind for posts are goals. Each post idea I have is one small goal for my writing and for this page. The obvious goal to cover on this page would be weight loss goals. Another goal could be being more positive. Getting a certain project for school or work done by a certain date is another. I really could go on and on. I have set myself a number of goals in my life, and I have learned some lessons along the way.

First let me talk about weight loss goals specifically. Back when I first lost the weight, my main goal was to get down to a healthy weight for my height. Between 170 lbs and 150 lbs is the weight I should ideally be for my height, so that was my goal and the entire time my aim was for that number. I find this problematic now that I am a few years older and I suppose a bit wiser. First of all, it focuses on the number on the scale rather than health. Sure those numbers are a "healthy" weight for my body, but when getting healthier focusing too much on the number on the scale can be detrimental to your journey. I found myself weighing myself far too much. It became a habit to check the scale at one point almost daily. I am better about this now. The second reason I think this was not a good goal to set was because it was such a big goal to set for someone just starting out on their journey. This time around I decided to set myself smaller goals through this path, and that is not just for the number on the scale.

My first goal I set for myself this time around was to lose 30 lbs. This would put me under a certain weight and I thought this was a reasonable number to aim for at first. I am just about 10 lbs shy of that right now. Once I reach this I will set another goal for myself to reach. Another goal I set was to continuously go to the gym 3 days a week every single week. That started with just cardio and 20 regular squats as a warmup. I then set the goal to add weight training. After I met that I set the goal to do 40 sumo squats as my warmup. Now I am doing all of these things together, and I am going 4 days a week instead of 3. This is a perfect example of my suggestion in setting goals. Start with a small goal and slowly build on that. Sure I am struggling a bit to get to my first 30 lbs goal, but I know I am on the right path. All these goals work together to eventually line up so you can achieve the bigger long term goal. I know that if I stay on this path and keep doing what I am doing while fixing the things that still need work, I will eventually reach the original goal I set for myself a few years ago.

Setting goals of course does not only apply to weight loss and health related goals. Set goals for yourself for your job or your relationships as well. Small goals that will help you eventually achieve a bigger goal. Maybe start working on that big pile of filing you have been putting off at work day by day. Maybe call that family member or friend once a week until you can build back up the relationship to how you hope it can be. Maybe it is school as well. You could take fewer classes than you have been in order to concentrate more on less so you can boost your GPA. I mentioned positivity goals as well. If you are looking to be more positive, start each day with a positive quote and say it out loud to yourself. I am guessing that will eventually influence you to be a lot more positive. You are on your own personal timeline, so do not be in a rush. 

I started this blog in 2014 and hardly ever updated it. Last year I decided I wanted to write more. I love writing as you all probably know, and I loved writing for this page, but I also did not want to bite off more than I could chew. I vowed to update every other week and that worked out for me. So much so that I now am aiming to update every week. Right now that is my goal and who knows maybe in the future I will build on that even more. 

Set goals in your life. If you have something worth working for and something to look forward to, working everyday to get to that will have a hugely positive impact on your life. Set small goals for yourself that are achievable rather than seemingly impossible. If you build on your goals one day you just may achieve what you think is impossible right now.

You May Also Like

0 comments