My New Meal Plan: Lunch

by - July 15, 2018

Next up in the meal plan is lunch as you may have guessed. I would say lunch is the hardest meal to work around when trying to eat healthy, at least for me. There is a lot of temptation all around us during the day that can lead to some not so great food choices. A great example is joining work friends ordering take out or asking if you want to join them at a restaurant. I personally work around a lot of different places that I could leave and go to grab something for lunch. Some of these choices are good, and some are bad. There also is a food truck in our parking lot at least once a week. While I am sure some of the trucks that come have some decent options, those are not always going to offer the best choices either. 

In my meal plan that I follow now, lunches should be the second biggest meal of the day. I personally try to keep my lunch in the 400-500 calorie range. You want something healthy but big enough to help you get through the rest of your day (and workout if you go after work like I do). I try to keep my lunches exciting and satisfying as well.

My first word of advice is to plan things out. Typically I am deciding what I want to make for my lunches the next week on Thursday. From there I write out a shopping list of all the ingredients to make sure I get everything over the weekend. Pick one day of the weekend to do your prep as well (otherwise known as meal prep of course). I personally do all of my cooking on Sundays. I know in the past I never used to plan things ahead like this and that always lead to me scrambling in the morning before work, or I just decided to buy something for lunch which as I mentioned earlier doesn't always lead to the best choices. If you have a nice plan and do all the prep at once, then it is one less thing you have to think about during your busy week.


This week I made Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
from the Cooking Light: The New Way to Cook Light
cook book.
When it comes to actual recipes I have a few suggestions as well. I utilize Pinterest a lot for recipes of all kinds. Create an account if you do not have one, create boards for the different meals or even just a board for healthy meals in general to save all these recipes. I also have a pretty large collection of healthy recipe cookbooks that I go through. I just bought a few on Amazon. That is nice to do so you can read some reviews on the recipes included as well as look at the preview pages. Go to your local bookstore and check the clearance section! Years ago I bought a Cooking Light cookbook for only $8 (the sticker price was around $30) in the clearance section and it has so many yummy recipes in it. If you don't want to go out and buy a book you can always check one out at the library as well and just copy the recipes that stand out to you. You can improvise as well. I sometimes like to keep my lunches pretty simple so I will just pick a grain/carb, protein, and vegetable(s) and cook them up. There are honestly so many ways to get creative and keep yourself interested in your meals.



One other suggestion I have is to buy yourself some nice containers to store your food in. I have some nice glass containers. They seal all the food in which is not only great to store your pre cooked food in the fridge, but it also makes the travel to work a lot easier as well. A cute lunchbox to bring everything in couldn't hurt either! 

My biggest rule with lunches in my meal plan, as I mentioned before is to be prepared and prep what you can ahead of time. Do whatever you can to deter yourself away from giving into temptation and buying something really bad for you for lunch. Not only will your body thank you for it in the long run, but your energy levels will be so much higher later in the day as well. Pack ahead and you don't have to worry about it for the rest of the week. Just grab and go! Trust me if you stick to this and have a good healthy lunch during your day, you will thank yourself for it!

You May Also Like

0 comments