Thoughts on Exercise

by - July 08, 2018

I have talked a lot about diet and eating right on this page. Just last week I started my little series about my new meal plan I have been following. I wanted to break that up and do different posts in between, so no this post will not be about lunches. I wanted to dedicate some time to talking about exercising. I have covered this topic in the past, but my thoughts on exercise have changed quite a bit so I wanted to revisit it.

Trust me, I am the first one to admit I never liked exercising or being active. I would not have been well over 300 lbs in high school if I was a very active and athletic kid. I hated gym class. I absolutely dreaded it to be quite frank. I played softball as a young kid but that didn't end very well when I broke my arm tripping and falling running to first base with the only decent hit I ever got (I was a very graceful child, I know). I never exercised at all. I would walk the dog occasionally but that is about it. If you would have told me back then that when I was in my mid 20s I would be going to the gym four days a week I would literally say you were insane. If exercise is not your thing I completely understand. 

With all that being said, it is also really important to make it known how necessary exercise really is. If you are someone like me especially that has a job that you are sitting most of the day, exercise is especially important. Trust me, it was an extreme struggle to get into the gym routine I am in now. I had to make myself keep going every day at the beginning of the year. I have always been that person that does not want to go at all, but once I finish my workout I feel amazing. The days that are a particular struggle to go always feel that much sweeter in the end as well. 

If going to a gym is not your thing, I encourage you to find your thing. There are SO many ways to exercise in so many different settings. When I first lost weight a few years back I was so incredibly self conscious. I would never have stepped foot in a gym back then for fear of being judged. I found ways to workout from home that worked for me. I used the Wii Fit back then and honestly that worked great. It's a fun way to ease into exercising and you can do it completely in private if that is what you prefer. Once I gained a little confidence, I started going to the gym with a friend which also helped a lot. There are plenty of ways to workout from home if you have the space. Do some research and find the best option for your lifestyle and schedule. 

Do not be afraid to change things up either. I have been doing cardio four days a week at the gym and added in the leg and arm machines two days a week as well. To be quite frank my body had just gotten used to this. A few weeks back a trainer talked me into doing a free session with him at my gym. I was very reluctant to agree but he was very persuasive. To say I was sore the next few days after this session would be a gross understatement. I could hardly walk my legs were so sore. This is a wake up call in a way. Clearly I need to shock my body more and no wonder my results were coming to a halt. The following Monday I signed up for once a week sessions. I hesitated at first as they are definitely not cheap, but I felt it was right for me. I have been wanting to move on to different exercises and use different gym equipment, but was worried I wouldn't know how to use and do it properly. This way I have someone watching me and aiding me in the process. It really is pretty important to change things up from time to time, so don't be afraid to do so!

Exercising should make you feel good and should never be a punishment to your body. I know I personally feel amazing after a workout and especially after a nice shower after a workout as well. If there is something I am not fond of doing, I stop doing it and move on to the next thing. Never torture yourself in the process. Get up and move and become a more active person. Trust me I went from the least active person ever to someone that works out on a very frequent basis. If I can do that, anyone can!

You May Also Like

0 comments