My Experience With a Personal Trainer So Far

by - August 05, 2018

I have mentioned quite a few times now that I have started working with a personal trainer at my gym. I have been wanting to share my thoughts on all of that for a while now, and now that I have had a good number of sessions with him I feel like I am in a good place to do that. I have bee working out with my trainer once a week for about 7 weeks now, and I have a pretty good idea of the whole process at this point to give my thoughts.

Back in June while I was doing my cardio I was randomly approached by a trainer at my gym. As soon as I saw him walking up to me I knew what was coming! Being someone who is naturally somewhat shy and keeps to myself I am sure you can sense the amount of stress this caused me initially. After talking for about 15 minutes he managed to talk me into a free training session with him that week. Fast forward to that Thursday and I had my free session. This was more an evaluation of my capabilities than an actual session, but it was a really good workout for the day as well. I left there thinking I wouldn't continue with them that day, and then the next 2 days came and I was SO sore. Clearly the routine I was in was no longer a challenge for me because that session was a real shock to my body. I decided to see if sessions fit into my budget and when I realized they did I signed up with him the next Monday.

During these sessions he really does push me a lot farther than I would think I am able to go. I mean this in a completely good way though. When I would stop at a certain number of sets or reps, he will have me do one or two more and I am able to push through. He also recognizes when I am getting tired or to my limit and will have me stop when I need to as well. He has also designed a complete training program for me to do on my own for the days I am not training with him as well. I was very self conscious with the whole process at the beginning of all of this, but now I am completely comfortable in the process and I know it is doing me a lot of good. 

I have noticed a lot of changes in me through these weeks as well for many different reasons. The most obvious would be the changes in my body. The scale has not changed all that much in recent weeks, but that is completely normal when starting a new weight training program of any sort really. My trainer assured me of this. You are going to gain muscle rather than just losing fat and sometimes that means the scale isn't moving all that much. I am perfectly okay with that because it just means the scale will be moving soon. I also see so many physical changes in me as well. I mentioned these in my last post, but my collar bone is more visible, I can feel my belly being just a tiny bit smaller, I can see a visible shape on my body now rather than just being overweight. One really big change I recently noticed is my bottom as well. Instead of just having a big bottom I can feel an see that it is becoming more shapely and firm rather than just having excess fat. All of that is incredibly exciting to me and helps me see past the number on the scale. A lot of my clothes are fitting better as well. I feel it and a lot of people have told me that as well.

Another big change from training with a personal trainer is the confidence I have at the gym. Quite honestly before I would stick to the machines I knew how to use before. The cardio machines were like a security blanket to me in a way. I didn't want to go down into the weight area of the gym and look silly for using something the wrong way. Now that I have had someone show me just how to use these machines and materials I feel so much more confident venturing into the gym to do those exercises on my own. I mean I have deadlifted using a barbell! I never in my life thought I would be doing something like that before. I have been wanting to venture into the more physical weight exercises for a while now, but I just did not have the knowledge or confidence before to do that.

I personally would recommend you step out of your comfort zone and take some personal training sessions if you have been thinking about it. I honestly love my sessions and I actually love doing these exercises on my own as well. Find a trainer you are comfortable with and sign up. Take the price into consideration as well. If this is not something in your budget then maybe you should pass and look into a different option to expand your workouts. They are on the pricey side so it is understandable if this is something holding you back. Do what is right for you, but if you are the only thing holding you back I would say do it!

You May Also Like

0 comments