Reevaluating Your Routine

by - September 09, 2018

I have been working on a healthier me this time around since January. Through this journey I have learned a lot of things about myself and about the things I have been doing along the way. To backtrack a bit, the first time I lost a bunch of weight and back when I first started this blog I really only needed to do a few things to lose weight. I watched what I ate and counted my calories and I did cardio a few times a week. I think the hardest part of my journey this time around was realizing that I couldn't just jump right into the exact same thing I was doing back then. I think adapting and changing your routine as necessary is extremely important when trying to lose weight and/or trying to live a healthy life.

When I first started out on my journey this time around I jumped right in basically doing exactly what I was doing before--counting calories and cardio at the gym. I did see results from this at first, but eventually found myself in a rut I only recently got out of. Through friends, coaches, and just reflecting myself I came to realize that just because that worked back then it would not necessarily work for me now. I honestly think that goes for anybody. I do not know the science behind it, but I am sure it just has to do with our bodies changing with age. As time goes on our bodies need different things from us to run as efficiently as possible. 

I realized that this time around I needed to change some things. As you know I've started doing a lot more weight training rather than just cardio at the gym because of my personal trainer. The most amusing part is that I'm not as big of a fan of cardio anymore. I do it at the end of my workouts still but I more or less need to work myself up to it. I also had to change up my diet this time as well. I won't go into this too much at all since I dedicated a whole series of posts to this, but I changed the calorie amount for each meal and basically restructured the entire way I was doing things. This new way of doing things have been proven effective for me. I finally found something that is easy to stick to and I am finally seeing results again with. I think both of these factors are very important.  

Sometimes changes in our routine are more than necessary to see the results we truly want. It is also important so we do not get bored and too accustomed to what we are doing now as well. In my routine now I finally was able to push through and get past the 25 lbs lost mark after hovering around it for weeks if not months. I am just shy of 27 lbs down now and still going. I don't think I would have even gotten to this point if I didn't change things up and I am so glad I did. I am actually planning on trying out Whole30 in a week as well to change up my diet a bit again. I will stick to the same calorie goals and structure I have in place right now, but will just cut out some foods for the time being to get even better results and some even healthier habits in the long run. 

To summarize everything here I want to suggest that from time to time you reevaluate what you are doing and see if some changes may be beneficial to you. One of the reasons I am trying out Whole30 because I know I have a lot of sugar cravings and cutting out sugar even further from my diet would really help me out. I decided to try out training sessions because I knew just cardio and very light weight training wasn't doing the trick, and I think it was the best decision I made for me. I knew I needed to change what I was doing and I listened to the people around me offering advice, but I more importantly listened to myself and what my body was telling me. Do your best to do the same. Don't let yourself get frustrated with a lack of results and take some time to instead think about why there is a lack of results. Be willing to do what you need to do to get into the habits you want and live the life you want and always be willing to change from time to time. 

You May Also Like

0 comments