When Life Throws Us Curveballs...

by - November 04, 2018

It is almost amusing where I find the inspiration for the topics for my weekly posts on this page. Sometimes I have a set idea in my mind days ahead of time, and sometimes I decide the day of. I always, however, am inspired by my daily life. This Thursday I learned that the gym I am going to and have been working with a trainer at for months now is closing. Yes, even this can inspire an entire blog post. 

Let me go a little more into detail about my reaction to this news before I get to my point. At first I was really upset. The location was just too convenient being right behind my job. I never had the chance to talk myself out of going because it was right there. Now I will have to drive to a location that's a bit out of my way and I have time to think to myself "ahh I think I am too tired to work out tonight." I also was really upset about the fact that I would most likely be losing my trainer. I don't think I mentioned this, but about a month or two ago I transferred to a different personal trainer at that gym. I was really comfortable with my first trainer at this point so the idea of starting over with a new one was a bit intimidating. I am now just as comfortable with my current trainer, so the thought of changing it up again was upsetting. There were honestly so many things going through my mind. It really is funny how one little bump in the road has the potential to throw everything off.

As I got to thinking though I started to settle down and realized it wasn't as big of a deal as I was making it out to be. Danielle, my best friend who has been my support system through and through during my journey this year reassured me that I am in a routine at this point and I won't talk myself out of going if I don't let myself. I am seeing results and want to keep them up enough at this point. She was absolutely right. As far as a trainer went I had a few options. I could either get a new one at my new location and get comfortable with them, or I could just branch out on my own with the knowledge I now have. I decided I would talk to my trainer during our session that day and we could discuss what was next. Luckily I did because he just so happens to be transferring to the same gym I was planning on, so I get to stay with him. What felt like a crisis was calming down in only a few hours.

Okay I get that this was quite the lead up, but let me get to the point here. Life throws us a lot of curveballs. Sometimes they are huge. Sometimes they are small. Sometimes they are small but we overreact in a big way. As you all know I am a firm believer that every thing in our lives happens for a reason. Yes I know I have given this example so many times I am sure you are sick of it, but losing my previous job felt like a huge  crisis. That giant curveball thrown at me only lead me to the position I am in now. If I didn't lose that job I would probably have never reconnected with Danielle, I would have never met my bosses or other work friends, and I would likely still be at a job at which I felt underappreciated and was underpaid. That was probably one of the best curveballs I could have been thrown at that point in time, and I managed to hit that ball right out of the park. 

Sure me having to change gyms and thinking I may need to change trainers is a minor crisis compared to others. There are certainly way worse things life can throw at you, but I thought the entire experience and my thought process proved an interesting point. When life throws you for a loop take a deep breath and embrace it. Realize that everything is temporary and that you will move past it. Realize that it is only a huge crisis if you let it become one. Keep your chin up and smile your way through the fear of the unknown. I honestly think it is human nature to be afraid of change and hating to stray from your routines. I cannot think of one single person in my life that doesn't have any issue when unexpected changes come their way. The most important part though is how we get through these changes. 

You May Also Like

0 comments