Relationships with Food

by - February 03, 2019

Well it is Super Bowl Sunday and if you are anything like me and the small portion of people in this country that are not into football, it's all about the snacks. In our family we always have a spread of snacks as I am sure a lot of people do. Is there anything healthy? Not exactly. Is the Super Bowl one day out of the year? Yep! I have always said on occasions such as these you really should allow yourself to enjoy. Try to limit yourself a bit and don't go nuts, but even if you do go overboard just remember that tomorrow is another day.

I know I have talked about food on my blog before but I personally think it is important to revisit it every now and then. Food and your choices with food are the biggest part of your journey with your weight. We have to eat to survive and it is important to give our bodies the best fuel possible. On top of that there are so many things that are not so great for us around. I get it. Food is definitely still a struggle for me. I love healthy food, I love planning my meals and making healthy meals. More importantly I love how I feel when I am on a great meal plan and sticking to it in tandem with my gym schedule. I also have a sweet tooth and crave foods that are not so great for me. I think that is only human.

So what do we do when it comes to craving the foods you know you shouldn't have? My first piece of advice is to allow yourself to have a reasonable amount so you do not deprive yourself. Typically when you keep putting off your craving for too long you are likely going to binge. Obviously do not go crazy but go ahead and have a serving of ice cream or a serving of potato chips. If you are at a Super Bowl party tonight go ahead and enjoy yourself, just remember to eat a bit more sensibly tomorrow.

As far as my meal plan it really hasn't changed all that much since the last time I wrote about it. I am still trying to make breakfast the biggest meal of the day. Lately that has been eggs with some sort of carb (usually potatoes or protein pancakes) or plain yogurt with berries and nuts and a bit of honey. I personally give myself a good amount of time in the mornings to make a healthy breakfast for myself, but I know a lot of people are rushing in the mornings. I would say plan for that ahead of time if that is your case. There are plenty of recipes you can make ahead and enjoy a healthy breakfast on the go. Overnight oats and smoothies are great examples and there are a ton of recipes online through Pinterest or Google. I would say that one of the most important favors you can do for yourself is making breakfast a priority.


Lunch and dinner are pretty simple as well. I always do my meal prep on Sundays for the week ahead for lunch. For lunch I typically try to make this my second biggest meal of the day as well and I always try to have some sort of protein, carb, and vegetable. I personally find carbs important in my lunches because I want it to hold me over fairly long especially on gym days. I usually have a snack in between the gym and lunch, but if I was eating something not as filling I am sure my stomach would be rumbling well before I left for the gym every day. As far as dinner goes I typically still try to keep that fairly light. Usually this means a big side of vegetable and usually a lean protein like chicken or fish. I sometimes throw some red meat into the mix as well but not super often.

Snacks are pretty important to me as well. I usually have a snack at work about an hour after I get there. Typically this is something really small to just keep my metabolism going and hold me over until lunch even with that big breakfast. This usually is a small pouch of nuts, raw veggies with hummus or a light ranch dip, or even a yogurt. As I mentioned I also have a snack a few hours after lunch so I have a good amount of energy to power through my workouts especially now that I have upped the amount of cardio I do and now that I am doing a fair amount weight training as well. This snack is usually a little bigger. I have been eating a lot of protein bars (quest or luna bars are my go-to) lately for my mid-afternoon snacks. Yogurts are pretty good as well. Really anything that isn't really high in sugar or calories and will give you some extra energy and hold you over until dinner.

Really with food your best bet is going to be planning and preparation, but also allowing yourself to enjoy as well. Eat plenty of the foods that will make your body feel good, but also enjoy the foods that are good for your soul occasionally as well. Drink plenty of water too! Try not to let food be your enemy and realize it is there to nourish your body and keep you going. Start small and grow from there. Your relationship with food does not need to be a complicated one. Fuel your body, sometimes fuel your soul, and overall just make decent choices. 

You May Also Like

0 comments