Small Pieces of Happiness

by - February 10, 2019

Do you ever sit and think about the little things in your life that make you happy? I am not talking about the big picture type events that lead to happiness... What I mean are the small details in our lives that bring us moments of joy. Maybe they only last for a moment, or maybe they put a smile on our faces all day. I am willing to bet everyone has these and I am pretty confident a lot of people probably do not even realize it. 

I spent my Sunday morning (as I posted on my Instagram, if you were led here from my page) just lounging around in my pajamas, drinking my coffee in a mug with the words "Hello Happiness" on it, playing a game on my computer. Pretty much every single one of the items on this list fits in the category of small things that make me happy. Pajamas for obvious reasons. Coffee, again obvious. The computer game I was playing also is a great example. The game was Undertale which I also mentioned very briefly in my previous post about determination . I honestly just have a lot of happy thoughts when it come to this game because of the story, characters, and memories of play-throughs I have watched on YouTube. Just hearing some of the music puts a smile on my face. I just decided to purchase and try playing it on my own recently. Since I am already so fond of it why not? Pretty funny that I haven't actually played through the game myself right? Something so small can absolutely be a huge part of your life and your happiness. 

I can honestly think of so many examples of little pieces of happiness one may have in their lives. Some are personal examples from my life but not all. To go off of one already mentioned briefly, music is pretty powerful in that sense. Certain songs may bring back powerful memories or maybe even a specific genre of music can calm you and make you smile. Could a certain smell also put a smile on your face? I know I head to Bath and Body Works every single Fall to get their Sweater Weather candle just because that scent is one that I am so fond of. Maybe your happy scent is of a specific food cooking? How about tasting that food as well? I don't know too many people that don't smile when they have ice cream (well, unless it is break-up ice cream or you are lactose intolerant but that is an entirely different story)! The feeling of laying in a bed of freshly laundered sheets? Looking at a picture of your loved one? I believe I have all six senses covered now right? 

I want to encourage you to seek out these small tokens of happiness. Seek them out often. A good place to start, as I have mentioned previously is when you are feeling down. I wouldn't, however, limit them to just then. We don't only need to be happy as a result of first becoming unhappy right? Maybe just for no other reason other than it being a Tuesday you want to take an hour to read your favorite book or do some writing. Maybe listening to some calming music that you love at work on a Thursday? Completely randomly deciding to break out a photo album to look through it? If we take more time to do the little things we love the less we will need to resort to them as a pick-me-up. Try and incorporate as much of these small things into your everyday life as you can. As long as it is not disrupting your routine what harm could it be doing?

You May Also Like

0 comments