My Second Whole30: Week One

by - March 10, 2019

Another week one of Whole30 is under my belt. As I mentioned last week I decided to do Whole30 for Lent this year. Most people give up one thing (or make an effort to do something more like going to the gym) but not me! I decided to do a meal plan that makes me give up multiple things. I figured I would take today's post to share the food I have been eating with each meal, share my favorites, and give my overall thoughts.

Let's start with breakfast. Breakfast in my opinion is the hardest meal on this plan. When we think of breakfast, we typically think pancakes, cereal, toast, yogurt (etc.) but none of that is allowed on Whole30. I kept breakfast pretty much the same the first time I did Whole30 the entire time. I usually did one of a few different things: Veggies scrambled in eggs with some sort of carb on the side (usually potatoes or fruit), a mashed sweet potato bowl with fruit and coconut milk, or even just fruit and coconut milk in a bowl with some pecans or almonds. This is my game plan this time around as well. As long as I go back and forth between different meals in the morning I really don't get sick of them. I am still trying even with this plan to keep breakfast as my biggest meal of the day. Usually this is fairly easy to do but I will admit on Whole30 it is a bit more difficult. I just try to keep breakfast full of good carbs and healthy fats. My favorite of the week was this broccoli, red bell pepper, and egg scrambled with some avocado oil with cut up apples on the side. 


Lunch is always a bit easier for me because I am already so used to meal prepping on Sundays. For me personally I am finding that I have the best luck with lunches when I make soup. This week I made a lemon chicken soup with cauliflower rice and kale, and I already have another soup for my lunches on the menu for next week. I have found that there are also a ton of Whole30 soup recipes online which is great. I had no problem enjoying my lunches this week even on Whole30. Usually I do my meal prep for the entire week but this week was a bit different. Since Wednesday was Ash Wednesday I had to also have a lunch option with no meat. I had to stray from the soup I made and ended up making a salad with some nice mixed greens, red bell pepper, cucumbers, hard boiled eggs, and a great homemade avocado ranch Whole30 compliant dressing. You can see the recipe for the dressing here. Use the internet as best as you can. I have so many saved for lunches on Whole30 that are going to make it that much easier to stick to this plan.

Dinner just like last time really hasn't changed for me from my everyday plan. Since I get out of work at 5:30pm, head right to the gym and workout for typically 45 minutes to an hour I usually don't get home until around 7:30pm. This usually means by the time I get home I really don't want to be spending too much time cooking. Dinner is usually some sort of protein and some sort of vegetable(s) on the side. Lucky for me this is pretty easy to transition into Whole30. To me one of the easiest things to make for dinner is stir fry and as long as you use all Whole30 compliant vegetables (no baby corn in your stir fry!) and seasonings (no soy sauce either. Use coconut aminos instead!) it is a really easy dinner to whip up on the plan. I personally love seafood and chicken so making sure I am getting lean protein after the gym is easy for me as well. The favorite dinner of the week would have to be Friday's. I made a nice piece of cod seared in olive oil with an avocado salad on the side. Nice and filling with a ton of healthy fats, protein, and fiber!

As you can see by my meal examples I have been eating a ton of fruit and vegetables while doing this. That is never anything your body is going to be mad at you for. For snacks I am generally sticking to that same. Carrot sticks, apples, and even some nuts or nut butter here and there. That is the plan this time around! Overall I am feeling pretty good so far. The sugar detox I mentioned in my first week of my first round hit me on Friday, but it wasn't nearly as bad. I miss the sugar in my coffee but am able to drink it all the same and still enjoy it. I will be doing this plan for forty eight days (ending on Easter Sunday) and while I do think that number is a bit intimidating I know I can do it. I am feeling really optimistic and cannot wait for my body to feel better and better every week. I can't wait to share my results with you in April!

You May Also Like

0 comments