Pausing to Overcome

by - September 22, 2019

I am going to be completely honest here. I woke up this morning fully expecting to blow off writing a post today. I woke up in a little bit of a funk. I felt tired even though I had slept in. I felt a little sad too for literally no reason. Overall I just felt unmotivated. It happens to all of us. Motivation only lasts so long, then our drive needs to kick in. 

Did I want to do my laundry, meal prep, or write this post at all today? Honesty no, but here I am. Laundry is in the dryer. My turkey broccoli pasta and blueberry oatmeal muffins are all prepped and cooling off for the coming week. And I am sitting here typing away on my laptop. I figured I would use the energy I was feeling this morning to write a post. I say all the time that I use my thoughts and feelings during the week to write these posts so this morning was no different. I know I am not alone. I am sure it is perfectly normal to just wake up on the wrong side of the bed and want to be lazy that day. Sometimes we have no choice.

I am at the age and point of my life that, although I do have a good number of adult responsibilities I do not have nearly as many as some do. Many people near my age are parents, caretakers to older loved ones, even have their own dogs that need their full attention. People with those responsibilities have no choice but to get out of bed and get moving every single day, especially if there is a four year old that has been awake since 6 AM begging for their attention. Some people have to wake up to get to their job or even their second jobs on a Sunday morning. Others simply have tasks around the house they need to get done. No matter what, realize that your effort certainly does not go unnoticed. 

So what should we do when we are having these off days? I would suggest trying to get through them as normal as possible, but take breaks when they are available and needed. I started off my usual Sunday projects a little later this week because I was feeling emotional for literally no reason at all. One of the many perks of being a highly emotional person (insert eye roll here). What I did was watch the season finale of a show I have been watching, had a good cry from it, and then I felt a million times better. Sometimes we just need to let ourselves feel these emotions. Sure waking up emotional for no reason isn't necessarily sensible, but it is still a valid feeling no matter what. Pushing it away only bottles it up. Do not do that, you are bound to let them overflow and burst out at the seams. 

My best piece of advice is to do exactly as I did. Take a break. Meditate, do some yoga, go for a short walk, watch a sappy show like I did. Anything to just let yourself pause your responsibilities momentarily and reset yourself a bit. I can absolutely attest to that. I spent my morning unmotivated and because of that it was causing me writer's block. Do you know what a break resulted in for me? You are reading it! I just cranked this post out in no time at all and it was all because I took a little time for my mental health. I want to encourage you to do the same. I tried hiding my feelings for years and it only caused me to let them back up. We are humans and we have emotions for a reason. Yes some of them are beautiful and enjoyable to experience, while others are not. When we are feeling the not so enjoyable emotions, taking a small break never hurt anyone.

You May Also Like

0 comments