Enjoying the Path You're On

by - January 26, 2020

Yesterday I spent the day with some of my very best friends that I have been with since high school. Sure as the years passed by we went in and out of touch but we've still been there for each other through the good times and the bad. We went from having sleepovers almost every weekend to getting together far less often for sushi and Pina coladas, but the friendship has been there. That lead me to think about time and how quickly it seems to go by. I think there are a lot of important lessons to remember when it comes to time. 

It is now 2020 which means my 10 year high school reunion is just around the corner. 10 years since I have seen the majority of those people. 10 years since my last chorus concert and my last regents exam. 10 years that seemingly have gone by in the blink of an eye. At that time my niece was also a newborn and my nephew was not even born yet. I still weighed well over 300 lbs and was eating junk and never exercising. I was just starting to think about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, like most Seniors in high school are, and it was just about 10 years ago to the day that I found out I was accepted into the college I attended. Looking back, is my life exactly how I was hoping it would be in 10 years? No. I think anyone would be lying if they said theirs was. Life takes unexpected turns. Am I a 5 times New York Times bestseller like I dreamed? No but I absolutely love the job I have and not many people can say that. I also am able to still keep my writing dream alive on the side which is more than many can say. As I said life throws us into many different directions but they all seem to pan out exactly how they are meant to.

Think about the person you wanted to be 10 years ago. Are you close to being that person or did life throw you an entirely different way? Either way, are you are content with how you turned out? If so, great! If not, I want to remind you to never lose hope and to keep working toward your goal. Maybe like myself you wish to be a successful writer. Well I would say I already am in a small scale. Sure I haven't published a best selling novel yet but I have this blog that I love to write with a small amount of followers as well as my growth in poetry. I would still very much consider that a win. Perhaps you have a similar story. Maybe your dream is still a bit more out of reach that you would like. Maybe your life is the complete opposite of where you thought it would be 10 years ago. Regardless of that the most important thing is to remember that you (and only you) have the power to change that. Focus on one really good thing in your life. It could be a physical item, it could be a person, maybe even a pet or something along those lines. Focus on that. Focus on the light in your life and do whatever you can to make it grow even brighter. You may not reach your goals in the way you think, but I promise you will reach them somehow.

With all of that being said I think it is also very important to not solely focus on the future. If we are always looking completely ahead we just might miss what is around us in this very moment. Work hard, but don't work so hard that you don't make it to all of your child's recitals or sports events. Yes sometimes we need to focus on our careers and dreams, but don't let that get in the way of your friendships or relationships with your partner and family members. Remember to take care of yourself as well! If you are constantly working hard toward your goal it should never be at the expense of your health! If we ignore everything around us in the present in order to have the future we dream of having, how bright is that future if there is no one to share it with? If you have never seen the movie Click with Adam Sandler watch it! It pretty much has this exact moral to the story--but be warned I've cried like a baby every time I have watched it. The most important time is the present, and I just want everyone to remember that!

Looking back on the past 10 years there are plenty of things I thought I would have experienced by now but I haven't. Does that make me a failure? Nope! I sure don't think so at least. My life took a completely different route than I was expecting it would but I honestly wouldn't change it for the world. I truly am content with how my life has worked out and I absolutely am taking the time to enjoy the present. Yes it is fun to look toward the future too, but as I have said the present is the main focus. Always remember to keep your head up and to keep on the path toward your goals. Sure sometimes that path changes or comes to a fork in the road, but as long as you keep moving forward, no matter what path you choose at that fork on the road, you will being living life to the fullest. Just remember to stop occasionally to enjoy the field of wildflowers along the way. You will never regret that. 

You May Also Like

0 comments