When Your Routine Changes

by - June 13, 2021

 I am going to take today's post to revisit a topic I have talked about many times on this page. I am someone who firmly believes that routines are good for all of us to have. Sure we are all different and some people do better on them than others, but I think a routine is very much a big key to getting the success in your goals that you are trying to achieve. As I have mentioned I moved recently and that in a sense threw my routines into a frenzy and I had to adapt to change things up, I still am in some ways was well, so I thought now would be a great time to revisit this topic and talk about my experience with it in recent days.

Last year I think the reason a lot of us were struggling, and maybe some of you still are because you are still working from home, is because our routines were turned upside-down essentially overnight. I personally was in the office 5 days a week, went to the gym after work 4 out of those 5 days, and on Saturdays. Suddenly I was no longer going into the office and could not go to the gym for months. I was finally in a good routine with the gym and I have not fully recovered from that even today almost a year later. If you are still struggling with this, trust me you are not alone. I know a lot of people have loved working from home but others, like myself, could not stand it. I think for a lot of people that routine being completely changed around took a big toll on our mental health.

With all of that being said I think it is important to talk about what to do when a routine is changed around. I no longer live at my parents house, so a lot of things have changed for me. Before if I didn't feel like cooking after work I could just have something my Mom made. Now I pretty much have to cook even if I do not want to. I am still trying to get my morning routine down since my commute to work is a bit shorter so that has been a change. I have an entire apartment I need to keep clean so I need to work the chores into my schedule as well. I am not complain at all and in some ways I love having these new responsibilities, but it very much is a change. I have been trying to embrace my new closer location to the gym and waking up early to go before work instead of after where I am struggling to find the motivation to go. 

When things get flipped around on you, embrace it! Like I said before sure I have to cook dinner every night for myself but it gives me the chance to have no rules with it. Wednesdays from now on are going to me my pizza nights and I am going to eat that pizza on the couch and watch the new episodes of Loki every week. I want to encourage you to do the same. No I don't me pizza and Disney+ every Wednesday, I mean finding a silver lining with your routines being switched around. If you are still working from home take the time you would have spent a year ago on your commute and use it for yourself. Get in a morning workout, read a bit of a book, take extra time one a healthy breakfast in the morning. I would say the most important part of your routine getting switched around is finding a way to embrace it.

How have your routines switched around in the last year? I think it is safe to say that every single one of us have had to deal with this in some way, shape, or form. As I have been saying throughout this entire post the most important thing we can do with this is handling it in a healthy way. It is not going to do anyone any good to sit around and complain about things, like SO many people have been doing throughout this entire last year. Find a way to let this change have a positive impact on your life.

You May Also Like

0 comments