Support/Encouragement is All Around!

by - June 23, 2014


Something that truly means a lot while on the weight-loss journey is the support you get from others. I'm sure everyone's story is different, but it is genuinely amazing the amount of comments I've received and sometimes even the source of some comments is also surprising. I've had so many people who I haven't really talked to in years (some of you are perhaps even reading these words) telling me how well I am doing or how good I look. Just today a girl, who I knew but really didn't talk to all that much in high school, told me how good I look. I don't think people realize just how encouraging those words truly are, but they honestly are much appreciated. One thing that truly is a key factor in success is the support you get from others. Yes, I know I said in my previous post that you should only be doing this for you, and I stand by what I said, however, the encouraging words and actions of those around you can give you the extra boost of confidence you need to keep going!

There are two main points for me of outside support. I'm sure I am going to sound completely cliché when I say that these sources are my friends and family. So many of my friends have been completely encouraging and supportive this entire time. There are far too many to list but I know you all know who you are and you also know how much I appreciate you! As far as family goes there are also a number of people to list but the main three of course would be my Mom, Dad, and sister Cheryl.

To start off my parents have been nothing but completely supportive of my weight-loss the entire time. From letting me throw some healthier food options for myself into their grocery cart, to driving me to the gym (yeah I know, I REALLY need to get a driver's license) they both are nothing but supportive and encouraging, and are constantly telling me how proud of me they are. Although you should know that you're still not off the hook for secretly video-taping me while I was running in the living room Mom (I bet you thought I forgot)!
 
My sister Cheryl is also a big influence in my life and has been especially encouraging during my weight-loss journey. She always comments on my pictures and lets me know just how proud of me she really is! I do have to admit though when she decided to try and lose weight and was constantly asking me questions she was driving me absolutely crazy, but I was glad I could offer her some advice! Although I clearly became annoyed at times (I mean really Cheryl, how am I suppose to just know how many calories, if any, are in lemon pepper?!) I was genuinely honored when she came to me seeking advice. Although the amount of junk food I typically consume at her house is typically criminal, she is a huge part of my support system.

Although I did not list the number of friends that have offered me a huge amount of support,there is one person that deserves a lot of credit. I have known this girl for almost 16 years now (we met in 1st grade religion class—she swears the head popped off of my doll although I have no memory of this) and she has been a huge part of my life in many ways. Her name is Stephanie. I cannot even begin to describe just how supportive this girl really is! When I had weeks in which I was getting frustrated with my results she knew just what to say to encourage me. She is also my gym buddy and motivated/motivates me to keep going to the gym (on top of driving me there on many occasions). I honestly can't even begin to describe the ways in which this girl (as well as my parents and sister) have helped keep me on the correct path in my weight-loss journey. 

I wanted to use this post to obviously thank all of the mentioned people as well as all of you that have offered me an encouraging word or comment and thank all of those who are constantly supporting me. Even though I did not list you all, I completely appreciate all that you say/do! For those reading looking for a word of advice: embrace all of the support and encouragement you get from others! Words cannot express just how good they make you feel and just how much of not only a confidence boost but a boost in motivation as well that they provide. The people and loved ones around you genuinely do have a lot of power with their words. Although some of the sources of this encouragement will come from expected places, you may just be surprised what another source may be.

You May Also Like

0 comments