Balance

by - January 26, 2016


Everything in life needs balance. It truly is a huge part of everyday life and is something that really makes one successful in life. I think we've all heard the quote “All work and no play makes jack a dull boy,” from Stephen King's The Shining at some point, and this quote (at least to me, I will let you all interpret it as you wish... There isn't too many other things as an English major that annoyed me more than someone telling me what a quote meant rather than saying it was their interpretation. Sorry I'm rambling) is showing just how important balance is. Anything in life, whether it be a weight-loss plan or a workout schedule require it.

Eating healthy and exercising more are more than just that, they are lifestyle changes. You do them over and over until they become a habit, however, they shouldn't be what you focus all of your attention on. I think that is why I let myself get off track and gain some weight back. In a way despite all of my previous advice to avoid this, I set myself up for failure. I focused most of my time and effort that wasn't being directed toward school work at the time on losing weight. I did not balance my life out at this time. This journey should not be your only focus. Most likely if you are putting so much pressure on something and focusing all of your time and energy on it, you'll tire of it and it will eventually end up on the back burner. Much like my weight-loss, I also put my writing on the back burner once I started working full time. I do not want either of these things to happen again.

If you are starting out this journey or jumping back onto the path, remember to not make it your one and only focus. I believe I mentioned this in a previous post, but don't deprive yourself of anything. By that I of course mean you should eat some junk food occasionally, because if you cut it out completely you most likely will be a lot more tempted to binge eat. Going from eating those things all the time to never eating them is only setting yourself up for failure. Working out is another. Make sure you are giving yourself the proper amount of rest to go along with working out. If you put too much strain on your body without giving it the proper time to heal, you could do some serious damage to your health. That also means that you should make time for things you love to do as well.

In a nut shell, my biggest piece of advice that I have learned as of recently would be to never deprive yourself of anything, but especially of what makes you you. Live a balanced life. Balance the salads and the cupcakes. Balance the laughs and the tears. Balance the work and the play (I know nobody wants to be considered dull)! It is so easy to let life take over and before we know it another year is over. Living a healthier lifestyle can sometimes contribute to that, but it doesn't have to! Just be sure to live every day to the fullest and never let one thing take all of your focus.

You May Also Like

0 comments