Healthy Recipe: Stewed Tomato Pasta

by - January 18, 2016


I decided my next post would be of a healthy recipe I would like to share. I have been thinking of adding recipes, meal plans, etc. into this page for a little while now, so I figured I would start with one of my favorite recipes for a quick and healthy dinner, that I actually came up with on my own. Hope you enjoy!
 
Stewed Tomato Pasta
 
Ingredients:
-1 serving of dry pasta of your choice (I went with organic angel hair, but really anything would work.)
-1 can of stewed tomatoes (I like Italian stewed the best. Has onions, celery, and seasonings in it already.)
-Garlic (I typically use about 2 cloves fresh, but used jarred chopped garlic this time.)
-One pouch of garlic and herb tuna.
-Cooking spray


First a small sauce pan should be placed over medium heat (or medium/low depending on your stove) and a sprayed with a light coating of cooking spray. The water for the pasta should also be put on to boil. Once the cooking spray has a little time to heat up, the garlic should then be added and stirred frequently so it does not burn. 

Second open the can of tomatoes and drain the juice, but make sure you save it. Once the garlic has had sometime to saute, add the juice to the pan. While that comes up in temperature, cut the tomatoes into about 1 inch cubes, or to preferred size. 
As soon as all the tomatoes are cut, add those to the pot as well and turn the heat up to medium/high-high. The pot should come to a boil so the liquid can reduce down and thicken into a sauce. 

Third once the pasta water comes to a boil, cook the pasta as directed by the package. Note:You should always salt pasta water immediately after it starts to boil and just before adding the pasta.

Fourth once the sauce has cooked down a bit and has started to reduce, then the tuna can be added. This is an optional step, the sauce doesn't have to have tuna added to it. Mix the tuna into the sauce very well. The sauce is done at this point. Taste it and add any seasonings to taste until the flavor seems right for your preference.

Fifth once the pasta is cooked completely, drain it! Put it in a bowl, add the sauce on top.

Final Step: Enjoy!

This recipe can be changed quite a bit depending on your personal preference. I've made it with many different proteins including shrimp and chicken instead of the tuna. You could also make it a vegetarian dish and leave the meat out completely and add more vegetables such as zucchini.

The dish could be broken into two servings, or eaten as one bigger meal (I tend to eat a lighter breakfast and lunch and have a bigger dinner). If you eat it as one big meal, it is about 450 calories all together, so not too bad for your bigger meal of the day!

 This is something I just threw together quickly one night and have been making ever since. I hope you enjoyed reading my recipe! Let me know what you think!

You May Also Like

0 comments