Healthy Recipe: Tacos with a Healthy Swap

by - June 04, 2016

As promised, I wanted to make my next post another recipe post that involves my favorite healthy swap. This isn't necessarily a recipe because as you will see it isn't an original idea at all, but I am going to present it as one. The following recipe is something I have been making for dinner quite frequently now and I love it. So here it is (note that this recipe is for a single serving): 

Tacos with a Healthy Swap

Ingredients:
-1 serving of lean meat of your choice (I used 99% lean ground beef)
-Reduced fat or light shredded cheese of choice (I used a Mexican blend)
-Light sour cream
-Salsa
-Taco Seasoning (don't judge my huge package of this, I love Mexican food... and Sam's Club!)
-3 Romaine Lettuce Leaves 

Toppings I Used (Choose your favorite taco toppers!):
-Handful of mixed cherry tomatoes
-1/2 Red Onion
-1/2 Avocado

First Brown your meat. Place the meat in a frying pan on medium heat. If you are using extra lean meat like I was, you should put a little olive oil in the pan just to prevent sticking. The meat will not take long to brown, so make sure to stay close. Make sure to also break up the meat with a fork so it is distributed evenly throughout the pan.

Second Chop up any veggies you are using as toppings at this point but stay close to your pan. This way it will be ready to go once the meat is done.

I used tomatoes, onions, and avocado but there are so many other options! This is a great way to get creative and make this to your taste!

Third Drain the meat (if this is needed) and add taco seasoning to taste to the pan along with a few tablespoons of water and mix well. It will look very watery at first, but this will reduce down. Let the mixture simmer until it looks like the third picture below:
 


Fourth Time to assemble! Place the three romaine lettuce leaves on a plate... if you haven't figured it out already, this is where our healthy swap comes in! We are using lettuce leaves instead of tortillas. Fill your leaves with your taco meat evenly.
You will then want to put your toppings on in the order you prefer. This is the order I did: Cheese, then salsa, then tomatoes,onions, avocado  and finally top it with a small dollop of light sour cream. 

And that is it! You're all done! Now I will warn you they can get a little messy so you may want to grab a fork! I usually start off trying to eat them in the same way you would a normal taco, but I usually have to use a fork before I am through.

There are so many ways to change this recipe up as well. Chop everything up and make it into a taco salad, or make it into a vegetarian dish by using beans instead of meat. Honestly the possibilities are endless.

This is truly one of my favorite healthy swap recipes and truthfully I do not miss the tortillas at all! I hope you all enjoy and start to think of your own recipes involving swaps. As always, thank you for reading, until next time! <3

You May Also Like

0 comments