Healthy Swaps

by - June 02, 2016

Since yesterday’s post wasn’t really true to the form of my page here, I figured I would post again already… very unlike me I know! This post is actually one I have been thinking about for a while so I wanted to finally sit down and get it done.

If you are starting off on a weight-loss journey and/or just trying to get a bit healthier there are so many small things to incorporate into your everyday life that seriously pay off big time. Small little swaps that even if they do not take much energy or effort, they truly can be something that helps you reach your goals. Let me give examples of a few to get your minds working and thinking of your own.

The first major change I think really everybody should make is drinking more water. Yes, I did just mention this in my last post, I know but this is something so important to weight-loss. Even though I am not nearly as strict as I once was and should be anymore, this is one thing I stuck to this whole time. I used to drink so much soda it was ridiculous. I now only drink water, with the occasional exception and my one cup of morning coffee on work days. One serving of soda (about 12 oz) is usually around 150 calories with usually well over 30 grams of sugar… water is 0 calories and has 0 grams of sugar. Think of all the calories you can save that way!

Another thing I do is swap out carbs when I can. Let’s face it, I love carbs! There is absolutely no denying that! I could never cut them out completely, but I will swap them out for something less caloric on occasion and that helps a lot too. Zucchini noodle pasta instead of spaghetti is actually awesome! I will bring just lunch meat or plain, drained, tuna to work for lunch sometimes instead of a sandwich. Do not deprive yourself of the things you love, but don’t overly indulge either. I actually have another favorite carb swap like this that I will be posting a recipe for in my next entry. Carbs are not the only thing you can swap either. One of my favorites is mashed avocado on a turkey sandwich instead of mayo. Really depending on your personal tastes, there are so many possibilities!

My last change I try to do when I can is getting extra steps in when I can. When I go to the store I usually park pretty far from the entrance. Yes, this is partially because I am a new driver and hate parking haha, but it is also a really good habit to be in.  Stairs instead of an elevator or escalator is a nice swap… I did this all the time when I was in college, and trust me the stairs in the English building were horrible! My work doesn’t have an elevator so I have to use the steps, but that is actually a really good habit to force yourself into adapting.

Those are my three main swaps I try to add into my days when I can. Thank you all for reading! I challenge you all to try and make one of these swaps on a daily basis. I would love to hear if anyone reading this has any of their own as well!

You May Also Like

0 comments