My Acne Struggle

by - June 29, 2016


If you have been along for the ride with me here, I hope you are ready for an unexpected turn in this post. No, I don't have a big announcement or anything like that but this post is going to be completely different. Deep down I know this post is going to be a little hard to write and the photos I will be sharing here as well will also be hard to share, but life is all about stepping out of your comfort zone right?

I mentioned in my last post that a few years ago began my ongoing struggle with a random acne outbreak. Truthfully, I wanted to share my story here to possibly help someone out that is possibly looking for some advice like I was desperately seeking a few years ago, but also to empower myself a bit and finally take the step that shows that something like this does not have control over me.

About 2 years ago now I was a new college graduate (with an English degree... which I am sure you can guess isn't that easy to find a job with) that was desperately seeking a full-time job. I was working part-time at the job I graduated high school with and a student loan payment starting in only a few months. To say I was stressed would be a huge understatement. On the day before a job interview I started breaking out... and of course had a full section of new breakouts the next morning at that interview. Despite being confident I nailed the interview I did not get the job. I honestly was starting to panic. I felt like I was at rock bottom at this point. All of this stress caused me to have the worst face full of acne I have ever had in my life... including when I first hit puberty. The picture I have in this paragraph here is when it got to its worst point. Few people have actually seen these pictures. I know some of you are looking at them probably thinking “really? That isn't even that bad!” and you would be right, I have seen some cases far far worse than mine was, but to go from pretty clear skin to that pretty much overnight takes a bit of a toll on one's self esteem.

This was just the beginning of my journey of trying pretty much everything to get my face to clear up. When I mean everything... I pretty much mean it. I really don't even want to think about how much money I probably spent on all different kinds of products that I thought would be a magic solution. From many different cleansers,scrubs, toners, and masks to ridiculous tricks I read about online such as apple cider vinegar toner (I can't even tell you how bad that smelled). I seriously tried everything I could think of, and I am sure you can guess just how well that worked out.

Before I get on to a few tips I have I want to kind of tie this into my page. Acne seems to some people like such a small thing to have to deal with every day, but it truly can be a huge factor in you self esteem! Some days I just wanted to stay in bed and hide from the world. I even had a customer at the grocery store I worked at point out that I “have a lot of zits on my face” and proceeded to go to on my break and cry in the bathroom soon after that. Things like this absolutely do not contribute to your self worth though! I felt like I couldn't leave the house without makeup on. Now I still really don't leave the house without makeup on but that is my choice... yes, it was my choice before I understand that but I absolutely was not comfortable not wearing makeup and exposing my true skin to the world. It really is enough to absolutely wreck one's self confidence... but to everyone reading this: your flaws and how you handle them are what make you beautiful. I have finally learned this. Below is an older picture I shared on social media when my skin first started clearing up and I finally felt okay without foundation on, to the right of that is a more recent picture, with makeup. In my opinion both are me, both show someone showing signs of confidence. One without makeup, one with. The only difference in that person with is the reason the makeup is on her face. I do it as a hobby now. It is something I truly enjoy doing every morning. The only difference is the makeup is helping the true me shine and come out instead of covering it up.

          

I want to end this post by giving a few tips that I have learned while dealing with problematic skin:
  1. Be Gentle!-I found I really started seeing results with my skin when I stopped all the harsh cleansers and scrubs. Think of how much damage you are probably doing to your skin with all of those. Start your routine with a very gentle cleanser and if you do some sort of treatment follow up with that after you cleanse.
  2. Take Your Makeup Off!- I cannot even begin to explain how important this is! I was terrible about this before I started breaking out. Honestly I probably am lucky I didn't have an outbreak sooner. Think of all the dirt and sweat clinging to your makeup at the end of the day and that only stays on your skin all night if you don't take it off. It really only takes a few minutes as well, there really is no excuse not to.
  3. Moisturize!-This is the step I had the hardest time learning. My face is an oil slick. I cannot even describe how oily my skin is... so moisturizing seems silly right? Wrong! If you don't moisturize your face your face produces more oil in order to make up for that, thus producing more breakouts. Find a good moisturizer for you face, trust me.
  4. Stick to a Routine!-This is also so important. Once you find something that is working don't mess it up! If it is not broke why fix it?

Here are a few photos to show just how much my skin has cleared and I couldn't be happier. I didn't want to go crazy listing all of the products I use in my routine, but if you are curious just send me a message or a comment and I will be happy to share! Just remember loves that something like this does not define you. Thank you as always for reading... sharing this story in particular was very empowering for me. Something like this shouldn't have any power over you, and it no longer does for me.

You May Also Like

0 comments