Never Take Anything for Granted

by - July 18, 2016


Life truly is a beautiful thing despite the fact that some things make it very hard to remember that. We all have our bad days, weeks, months, but in the end the sun always comes back. With all of the beautiful things life has to offer comes our unfortunate habit of taking them for granted. No matter how hard we try, we all do it at some point in our lives. Recent world and personal events have been making me ponder this fact as well as a few others, and I decided why not make my next (slightly overdue) post about this.

Think of how often you go to the grocery store and just grab the ingredients you need for dinner that night. You really don’t think even for a second how much time and effort was put into getting that very item on the shelves of your local grocery store. Anyone who knows me or just follows me at all on any of my social media posts knows for the past few summers I have taken up gardening. Every year for the past 3 or 4 years I have planted a vegetable garden, each year with decent success. The other night when I was out there watering my plants I got to thinking just how much work goes into each and every fruit produced from that garden.

 My garden in all its glory :-P ... pardon the lawn from our very
dry summer this year!
This year I decided to expand my garden and dig out a 7’x10’ section of the backyard (by hand mind you, took 2 days and a lot of sweat and tears) which I then had to purchase twelve 40 lb bags of soil to fill it with and mix in plant food, then even it all out before I even planted the seedlings, which I also started from seeds myself this year. Once I finally planted the seedlings, I also have to make sure I water every day and weed frequently to make sure the plants stay healthy. A month and a half later and only a few vegetables have been harvested from my garden. I have baby cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, and squash all over the place, but there are still weeks standing between now and harvesting those. So much time and energy is dedicated to something that takes us a few minutes to purchase from the store, and even less time to scarf down.

If you are reading this post you are blessed. By that I mean you obviously have access to a computer or cell phone, have shelter, enough food to eat, a warm bed at night. Most likely if you are reading these words you have all of those things. Take a second to think about how many people in the world probably do not have any of those things. One should always take a moment here and there to truly think about all the blessings they have in their life. Even when things get really tough, you think you are at rock bottom, that things can't get much worse... you still have a lot of things some people would do anything for. Everyone is entitled to be sad and have their off days... we are only human. Take time to mourn or get angry or whatever it may be, but when you can, remember just how many things you do have in your life.

To everyone reading this do me a favor.. tell your loved ones you love them. Call them, text them, shoot them a facebook message. Whatever it takes. Appreciate your loved ones at every second of every single day because although it is so cliché to say, you truly never know how much time you have left with them. Do not for one single second take your loved ones for granted.

Your health is something you also should never take for granted. Up until this year I would be the pot calling the kettle black here, but go to your annual check ups. I HATE going to the doctor's office. Most likely due to always getting lectured about my weight growing up. I went on an almost 7 year hiatus from my annual physicals because of this. Luckily this year when I finally decided to have a routine check-up everything was fine, but that can change so fast. Just because you seem healthy now, it is not guaranteed that will be the case tomorrow. Take care of yourself first, then you can take care of others.

My main point in all of this rambling is to NEVER take anything for granted! I know this is next to impossible... we are only human, we all do it, but try and take some time each and every day to think about everything you have in your life. Maybe even try picturing your life without something or someone. Do not wait until it is too late to realize what you had. 

You May Also Like

0 comments