People That Inspire Me: Petrina Scaglione

by - July 25, 2016


I decided a few months ago that I want to do almost like a series of posts about people who inspire me, who are always there for me, and/or are just important to me for many different reasons. I actually asked the first person I am going to write about today if she was okay with being the subject of my blog probably 2 months ago now, so she probably figured I forgot about writing this post. Her birthday is actually tomorrow, so I figured what better of a time to do this post... but it is also in a way a follow up to last week's post. The very first person who has had a tremendous influence on my life is Petrina Scaglione.

I met this girl back at orientation in college and we pretty much became inseparable. My second day of college classes (her first) I recognized her waiting to go into my first class. I dropped my metal water bottle which made an embarrassingly loud sound and soon after she's asking if she can sit with me because she recognized me as well. We started making small talk and soon realized we had almost every class together that day and became fast friends. I swear this girl is a mini version of me! We pretty much immediately hit it off and have been good friends ever since! We would always spend time between classes gossiping or she would laugh at me for playing a stupid game on my computer while she tried to do school work (I still can't make those potions on Pottermore girl!). It honestly feels like just yesterday we were college freshman going to plays for theater class and filming our mock movie trailer for the same class. Honestly so many memories are flooding back to me just as I type this out that I could go on and on! Meeting Trina, it honestly felt like we had known each other all our lives! I couldn't imagine coming out of college with a better friend.

Although Trina is seriously such an inspiring person all on her own, I want to fast forward to spring semester of 2013, our Junior year. I remember Trina texting me letting me know she had a doctor's appointment the next day so she wouldn't be there in the morning. I honestly thought nothing of it. I went to my first few classes then took my spot on the floor with a few other friends in the hallway of the English building (before we got our own lounge, which I am pretty sure our loud group inspired) to eat my lunch as usual. When Trina finally got to school that day she didn't have good news.

Trina informed us that although there were more tests being done, that she indeed had cancer. I remember being shocked and almost immediately going to anger. How could someone who so selflessly shaved every inch of her hair off and donated it to a cancer fund almost exactly a year prior be diagnosed with the same thing? Trina handled it like a champ. She was nothing but jokes and positive thoughts every time I saw her. I know she had bad days, who wouldn't in that situation?! But if I was in her shoes I would have completely shut down. I admire her so much for grabbing cancer by the horns and destroying it! She kind of tried to play it off like it wasn't as big of a deal as it was. I remember finding out once she beat it that it was a lot worse than she told us. My initial reaction to this was being upset with her, but now I only see this as strength. I hope to be even half as strong as you are someday Trina!

I tried to visit Trina whenever I could. Just because she had this sickness, it didn't change the person inside one bit! I really don't get what people don't understand about this. I vividly remember our very first “fake Christmas party” at the Scaglione household. We were doing our gift exchange, and
Trina, myself, and Nicole.
Trina's mother, Gail, hands me and Nicole (Trina's other very good friend whom I consider a dear friend now as well) each a small box to open. She started tearing up as she began thanking both of us for standing by Trina through the whole battle. We all were crying after that. In the boxes were small glass angels which I still cherish as much as that memory. It has a very special place in my bedroom.

I am rambling a bit here but it is so easy to do with this girl! She finds out she has cancer and not only beat it, but kept her head up the entire time! She unfortunately had to take a leave from school for more than a year. I was so sad to no longer have this girl (who was with me almost every day of our college careers so far) with me at school anymore. I still had many of the people I met at the beginning with me though at this point, however, I was so sad to not have Trina there with me everyday anymore. When she returned to school it was my last semester and a lot of her friends were graduating then too. I know that had to have been hard. Most people in that place never would have gone back to school. I honestly don't think I would have. Not Trina! She went back and walked across that stage for commencement back in May of this year. She didn't just graduate though, she also graduated with high honors as well as an award. Words cannot even begin to describe how proud I was of her for that!], and was absolutely honored to be part of her special day and sit with her amazing parents to watch her cross that stage!
Right: My college graduation, 2014
Left: Trina's college graduation, 2016

This amazing woman not only stayed positive through probably the hardest thing to happen in her life, but she got through it with flying colors. I admire her so much and am so honored to not only know her but to call her one of my very best friends. I am so inspired and proud of her strength and hope to be more like her! Her story makes me feel like I can achieve literally anything! I felt like there was no other person to be the subject of my very first post about people who inspire me.

You May Also Like

0 comments