Oola Find Balance in an Unbalanced World: A Book Review

by - April 30, 2017

As promised, I wanted to start incorporating new content and ideas into my blog, so I decided to write my very first book review. This book isn't new on the market or anything like that, but I read it and knew after reading a few chapters that it would be a great book to review for my page. I plan on doing this more in the future with books I look for or just come across that I feel will fit in with my theme here. So being as this is my very first book review, bear with me! It will probably be a little rough around the edges.


Oola Find Balance in an Unbalanced World by Dave Braun and Troy Amdahi (otherwise known as the OolaSeeker and the OolaGuru) is an absolutely wonderful book all about reaching a perfectly balanced life. A lot of the topics mentioned in the book are things I have touched on in previous posts, so I knew this book was perfect to review on this page. The book's main purpose is to aid the reader with how to reach a perfectly balanced life through the 7 F's of Oola: Fun, Fitness, Field, Finance, Family, Faith, and Friends. The basic meaning of Oola in a nutshell is having these 7 F's perfectly balanced in your life. My favorite comparison in the book was to imagine each F of Oola as a spinning plate (page 33-34). You have to give each plate equal attention. Give one too much, and the other 6 start to wobble and fall. Forget one and that one begins to wobble.. see? A pretty easy concept to grasp! If not, let me give you a little sample here"

"When your life is In Oola, you’re in the zone--everything seems to be going your way. It’s like swimming with the current. You’re covering maximum ground with minimal effort. It’s a sweet spot. If you’ve ever had a sip of it, you want the entire bottle. It’s like finding twenty dollars in the couch, all green lights, Christmas bonus in July, all tweets re-tweeted, skinny jeans fit-good!" (Page 31).

The book goes on to describe and dissect each F of Oola one by one. The book also mentions things that will aid in reaching this balanced life, and things that will be counterproductive for this cause as well. Each and every chapter is a new way to help the reader understand just what Oola is and aids in understanding how one can achieve it. I have been preaching growth and balance as a person on my page here for quite some time so I am sure you can only guess how much I liked this book.

Just an example of a page from the workbook.
The most interesting part of this book to me was the structure. Every single chapter was structured the same way. It had an intro to the topic at hand, a life story from the OolaSeeker followed by a life story from the OolaGuru, and ended with a little conclusion paragraph and/or tip(s). It is almost like a contemplation of short stories that are all related, unlike the text books I had in college that were short stories together in a book with no similarities. To me this made it more enjoyable to read, unlike so many other self-help books. When I started this book I sat at my desk with a notebook all ready to take notes (especially once I decided to write a review for it as well), but only a few chapters after that and I was laying in bed comfortable just reading. The last few chapters of the book provide a basic plan to help guide the reader through their Oola journey. They even provided a workbook at the end that contains exactly what they had described in the previous chapters.

I feel like a book review is suppose to have a
silly picture of the blogger reading the book
right? :-)
It really is such an easy and enjoyable book to read. I found myself laughing and sometimes even tearing up a bit. I found myself relating to something each author wrote at different times throughout the book as well. Their advice and tips are easy enough to understand and follow if you truly want a balanced life. I can honestly say that every single F needs some work in my life and I feel so motivated now to slowly work my way up to having all the plates perfectly spinning. I highly recommend this book to everyone... I think everyone, no matter what their position in life may be would benefit from this book. As they say, just because something is balanced in your life at this point in time, that doesn't mean it is going to stay that way forever. I may have provided you with the basic outline of the book, but trust me it goes so much deeper than that. Right on the cover of the book it even tells you that it is an international best seller, so that tells you something hmm?

On May 2nd, 2017 their next book comes out, Oola for Women: How to Balance the 7 Key Areas of Life to Have Less Stress, More Purpose, and Reveal the Greatness Within You and I already have it pre-ordered. As long as I don't get any orders never to do another book review again, I plan on reviewing that one too, as well as a few other books I picked up earlier in the future. I hope you enjoyed this review and I look forward to more projects in the future. :-)

You May Also Like

0 comments