Falling Out of Routines

by - September 28, 2017

Routines are a part of pretty much everyone's lives. Some people can stick to them very well while others not so much. If you follow my blog, you will probably remember a few posts I did at the beginning of the year all about my new plan and new routine in order to get back on track with eating right and exercising. This post, however, is not going to be a lecture about sticking to a routine or anything along those lines. Quite the opposite really.


When I lost my job my entire routine went up in smoke. Part of that was because of not having a job, but most of it was my fault of course. My entire new routine at the beginning of 2017 was based off of my work schedule. I planned meals around work. I planned my gym schedule around going to work. That obviously didn't continue once I didn't have a job during the day to go to anymore. I couldn't revolve my healthy routine around a job anymore. I will admit in the three months I was unemployed my weight did go up just slightly (honestly not enough to worry about), but that was because I got lazy in my routine. My first week unemployed I tried to create a new routine for myself but quickly found that wasn't working. I very quickly fell right out of that one as well.

My point in bringing this all up is to say that it is perfectly okay to fall off a routine. If you find yourself falling off of your weight loss, diet, exercise (whatever it may be you are building around) routine, that is perfectly okay. You are only human right? The most important part is to recognize when you do and get back on it or something similar that works for you. Sometimes it is an easy fix, sometimes it isn't.

Now that I am working again (at a job I am really liking so far! I honestly didn't think I would feel so comfortable around so many new people so fast but I have a wonderful support system) I can get back on a similar if not the same routine I was on before. I already started planning meals again. This does still need a little work but I am getting there. There is also a branch of my gym literally in a plaza right behind my job. It is probably less than a 2 minute drive away. I will be able to work out on days I set after work again since the gym is in such a convenient location. I am going to do my very best to get right back on the same routine I was on before.

Sometimes it isn't this easy though. If you fall off your routine for a much bigger reason-then you really should revaluate it. Maybe you tried working out too many days a week and fell out of your routine from exhaustion. Maybe you stopped eating healthy and planning meals because you were being too strict and depriving yourself, causing you to binge. Once you recognize the problem it should be fairly easy to readjust. 

My whole point in this post is to say that falling out of a routine is perfectly normal. I would imagine everyone does it from time to time. The most important part is getting right back up and getting back at it as soon as you can!

You May Also Like

0 comments