Oola for Women: A Book Review

by - September 14, 2017

As promised I wanted my next post to finally be my next book review. Quite honestly there couldn't have been a better time in my life to read this, and I am so excited to share my thoughts!


Oola for Women: How to Balance the 7 Key Areas of Life to Have Less Stress, More Purpose, and Reveal the Greatness Within You is the sequel book (in a sense) to the first book I reviewed, Oola Find Balance in an Unbalanced World by Dave Braun (the OolaSeeker) and Troy Amdahl (the OolaGuru), however, Oola for Women is a little different. Instead of Braun and Amdahl being the sole authors, this book is made up of stories from forty two women. These women are fans who wrote in to share their stories, business women who have worked with them, or even family members of the Oola guys. I found this to be incredibly touching but also it made for an interesting read with the constant change in styles of writing and perspective (I know, I know my English major is showing here). Before I get too much into my thoughts here, let me just write up a quick summary.

The book's main purpose is to aid the reader with how to reach a perfectly balanced life through the 7 F's of Oola: Fun, Fitness, Field, Finance, Family, Faith, and Friends. The basic meaning of Oola in a nutshell is having these 7 F's perfectly balanced in your life. Yes, this is the same summary from my review of the first book, and that is because both books have the same basic purpose, however, this book is aimed directly towards women. Sharing how the 7 F's of Oola fit into women's lives more specifically. This book breaks down every F of Oola, the Oola accelerators, the Oola blockers, and concludes with a helpful plan to help the reader start their journey to their Oola life.

Now that I have the basic summary out of the way, let's move on to my thoughts. Quite honestly I wasn't planning on reading this one right away. Not because I wasn't eager to read it or anything along those lines, but because I have a few other books I want to review for my page. One of my first weeks at home after losing my job, I saw it laying on my nightstand and something was just telling me to pick it up and start reading. Something just told me that this book would comfort me in a time that I was feeling a bit lost and scared for the future. I was absolutely right. Within the introduction a passage stuck out to me so much, and really helped put things into perspective for me. The OolaSeeker tells a story of how the OolaGuru helped him through a tough time in his life. He tells the OolaSeeker a story of how a car is built with the exact design it needs to in order to properly keep your eyes on the road. A small rearview mirror to briefly look behind you, but not for too long. A large windshield to look ahead and see the broad picture in front of you. You need to check the rearview mirror occasionally, but your main attention should be on the road ahead (pg. 19). The OolaSeeker's response to this really stuck with me:

"In that moment, I learned that my life is the same way. I do need to look at my past, but only briefly from time to time, and only to learn from it. The majority of my time should be spent looking forward, planning where I am going" (Pages 19-20).


I have mentioned many times that it is not good to dwell on the past and that we should grow from it, but still move on. So many people let the past directly affect their futures. That is no way to live and I think this section of the book specifically gets that point across.

The book also includes a workbook (as does the
first) and even includes this fun
OolaWoman Goal/dream sticker!
As I mentioned, I wasn't originally planning on reading this book just yet, but something inside of me told me to pick it up that day and there was a reason for that. I am sitting home right now on my very last week of unemployment. I start my new job on Monday and just finished this book last night. I think it is pretty funny that I started this book on my first week and then finished it during my last week of my unemployment journey. I read this book at a somewhat slow pace, and that was by no means because it didn't hold my attention. I simply paced myself because I needed the therapy it offered. Hearing about the stories of real life women going through similar, and even worse problems in their lives, yet they all still pushed through was so incredibly inspiring to me.

Just like with the first book, I laughed, I cried, I smiled... so many emotional stories are contained within the pages of this book. Some I could relate to personally, while others I couldn't, but still felt so inspired by the strength of the authors. I was even really surprised to see someone I know through my Young Living essential group mentioned directly in the book (I thought that was so cool Kate, Tony, Madison, and Alex so I had to give you guys a shoutout)!

This book was a very easy read and as I mentioned, it completely held my attention. I would definitely recommend it to anyone going through a struggle in their life seeking wisdom and encouragement. I honestly wouldn't even just recommend this one to women. I think men would get just as much out of these inspiring stories as women will. I am so inspired (as I was with the first book) to start working my way up to an Oola life, and kick some butt at my new job in the process.

You May Also Like

0 comments