Heart Talk: Poetic Wisdom for a Better Life by Cleo Wade, A Book Review

by - May 06, 2018

I was not expecting to be writing a book review on this page any time soon, but I am so excited to be writing one right now! I am sitting here literally at 12:30 in the morning just because I was so excited to share this book with you all.

Last Friday I went on a random Target run (and by random I mean my weekly Target run). I was off of work using a vacation day which was much needed after the busy weeks I have been having at work. I decided to go to the book section not really looking for anything specific. I didn't really want to get too invested in a fiction book, so I wandered into the non-fiction section. I can't even explain why, but the book Heart Talk: Poetic Wisdom for a Better Life by Cleo Wade caught my eye. I picked it up and started flipping through it. Just by reading a few short lines from this book and I was tossing it in my cart.

Heart Talk was such a lovely book. I honestly cannot think of any other word to describe it. The words on these pages reflect so much of the positive thinking I already have running through my veins, but in such a beautifully simplistic way. It is such an easy read and I probably would have finished it in just a few nights if I didn't have such a tight schedule and such late week nights. I found myself easily reading 40 pages at a time and taking in every word of it. I found myself smiling and even nodding when I particularly agreed with some of Wade's words. Before I go on too much, however, I should probably give a little more information on the book itself.

Heart Talk is a book full of positive thoughts and poems all about self love and self worth and even some important life lessons. I loved reading through all the positivity within its pages that I have grown to embrace so much within my life already. There are free verse poems, lines of thoughts and encouraging words, and the author even filled in little annotations here and there to emphasize her points even further. I actually really loved that. It gave it the feel that I remember so well from buying a used book for college only to find the previous owner had marked up its pages. Being an English major, I saw a lot of that in the many used novels I purchased. Sometimes the notes in these college texts were useful. Sometimes they were even entertaining. They never failed to make me smile in the middle of class. The fact that the author of this book added those right into her published work was such a new and fun idea and it brought back those similar reactions. It was clearly very nostalgic for me. 

Just a fun example of how different of a setup 
this book has.
One of my favorite things about this book as well was the fact that it wasn't really one big novel. Instead, the book was made up of small thoughts and themes that all had a common purpose. To me because of this, I felt this book could more or less be used as a positive handbook of sorts. If you are having a rough day and need to be reminded to love yourself and need a reminder of how great you really are, simply pick up this book and read a few pages of it. It doesn't need to be a lot, just take a minute or so and just read and absorb the words. The poems and prose both offer some lovely feelings of self worth and positivity that I just absolutely love. 

"Create your own finish lines. Let there be as many as you want, and let there be many." (pg 75)

Clearly I loved this book. I read it fully in about a week, and am already planning to read it again or to even put it in my purse to read here and there when I have a moment. Positive thinking, self love, and even some life lessons are at your fingertips whenever you need them. It is definitely set up in a different even abstract way, but I found this gave the book charm. If you are someone that is struggling with self love and positivity the way I was not so long ago, I highly recommend you purchase this book for yourself. The words within its pages had such beautiful meaning to me, and I know they can for you as well. I would have loved to have a book like this back when I was full of self hate and negativity, so I am so happy to share this with someone who may need it in the same way. 

I have a handful of more books to review for this page. I am currently reading the first of two books that based on their titles seemingly would not fit on this page, but something tells me they will once I get to the end. They are written by a Youtuber I absolutely adore, so as long as they fit on this page well, I will be so excited to share them here and give him the recognition he deserves. I absolutely love writing for this page and look forward to updating it every single week on my posting schedule. I am still updating the beauty blog and I enjoy that, but it just isn't quite the same as this page. The words I write for this page truly come from my heart. They are so easy to write that I sometimes find myself struggling to find a place to stop. Thank you so much for reading, and I do hope you look into reading this wonderful book for yourself.

You May Also Like

0 comments