Growth and Change

by - August 19, 2018

Do you ever have one of those nights where you are laying in bed unable to get to sleep and think about something you said or did about 10 years ago and immediately cringe? I know I do this sometimes, and I think it is pretty normal. Now I know when those things pop into my head the reason they are so awkward to think about is because I would never say or do something like that today. I think this is an extremely normal reaction. I would say pretty much all of us are not the same person we were back then. 

I know I mention how much I watch YouTube in past posts before, and I wanted to very briefly touch on a YouTuber on this post. Shane Dawson (we all know I love Shane!) recently did a 5 part series with Jeffree Star on his channel. I feel like unless you are unaware of who Jeffree Star is, you either hate him or love him. He has a past that is mentioned a lot and that was addressed in this series. Personally the series showed me that Jeffree is an entirely different person now and he is remorseful of his past mistakes. There seems to be some real growth and change in him despite all these factors against him. Love him or hate him I think it is very hard to deny that after that series and after the video he released today about additional stories of his past. 

The reason I bring that up is because those videos partially inspired today's topic. I know I have discussed growth from the past previously, but I really just wanted to expand on that a little more. I think about things I have been through, things I have said or done, and even people that have come and gone from my life in the past from time to time and I always come to the same conclusion: I would not be the person I am today and in the place I am today if it wasn't for all of these things. All the pieces of your past make up the puzzle that you are today. Each little event in your past is like a stair that you step up. You can look down from the point on the staircase that you are standing on and realize that they made it possible for you to get there. One day you will be also be looking down the staircase back on today.

With all of that being said I also think it is very important to realize these things are in the past and need to be left there. I will never understand why something that someone said 10 or so years ago can be brought up and held against them today. I by no means think that it is an excuse for something horrible that was said or done in the past, but I know I was a much different person back then and I am sure that can be said about everyone. Do not beat yourself up for the mistakes you made in the past. What is important is now. Change is possible. Growth is possible, Actions today speak far louder than actions and words from yesterday, If you have things in your past that you are not happy about, work toward being a bigger and better person today.

Work on being a good person every day. Be someone that can learn from their mistakes and take criticism from others without an argument. If someone you love is making suggestions to you why not hear them out? You are going to know what is best for you most, but it doesn't hurt to at least consider another person's perspective. Never stop learning and never stop growing. Be the best person you can be and strive to be even better tomorrow. Past mistakes and actions will always be there, but the most proactive way to get past that is with positive growth and change today.

You May Also Like

0 comments