Dealing With the Present

by - August 30, 2020

 Happy Sunday! I almost feel obligated at this point to start every week's post the same way, so as always I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there! Most weeks I have a plan for a topic for each post set in my mind for a few days, but other weeks they just come to me throughout the week. I was a little inspired by things in the news for this post, but this is also a very prominent lesson I try to remind myself of every single day, and that is that we need to deal with the things we cannot change and deal with them the best way we know how. I know, this is not exactly a new topic for my page but I think this specifically that we all need to be reminded about frequently.

So what brought this topic to my mind recently? Hurricane Laura that hit Louisiana earlier this week. Whenever there is a big weather event like this I usually like to watch the coverage and stay informed. It was just so insane to me to think that I was suppose to be on a trip there just a couple of months ago and now this big disaster was headed right for it. I was upset about it for obvious reasons. But that got me to thinking about the people who live there and their entire lives and homes were in the path of the hurricane. I cannot imagine how hard that must have been for all of them. In a very serious big situation like this I know it is extremely hard to accept, but it is very prominent that this is something we as humans cannot change. We cannot change the path of a natural disaster like that. We cannot change the weather or take ourselves out of that equation. What we can do is work on the things we can change. People in Lake Charles were told to evacuate to save their lives. People in the more northern areas of the state could do some storm proofing on their houses to make the chance of damage reduced. The important part in situations just like this is to change what we can and not waste time dwelling on what we cant. 

If you are sick of me bringing up the pandemic in my posts, I apologize but I feel it is such a present thing still. It seems like a lot of people want to just act as if it is no longer going on and that is incredibly dangerous thinking in my opinion. Look, I get it I am so over all the precautions we are still taking. If I had a magic wand and could make COVID-19 disappear I would of course do it without hesitation, but we do not have that ability. We cannot change the fact that this virus is still running through our world right now. But what we can change, as I have been saying for months, is our impact on this virus. We can stay home when possible. We can only gather in smaller groups and not be hosting huge parties like these "influencers" we are hearing about in the news. We can make sure we are keeping ourselves safe which in turn will keep others safe as well. There are plenty of things we can change during this pandemic that if we all worked on together would make a huge change. Don't dwell on the fact that we cannot go back to our normal lives just yet. Instead change the things you can!

Overall this lesson can be applied into everyday life. Maybe at work you messed something up, missed a deadline, or just overall make some kind of mistake. The reality is at that point that it is done. We cannot go back into a time machine and change it, but what we can do are the things we need to fix it or make things better. If you messed up paperwork at work just make a mental note to be more careful next time. Maybe you forgot about someone's birthday or a special event. You obviously can't go back in time to make sure yo do not forget it, but what you can do is you best to make things up to that person. We simply cannot change the past. If I see older pictures of myself from college I get angry at myself for gaining the weight back that I lost back then but I obviously can not do anything about that now. What I can do is work on myself to get back there again one day. That is always the very best we can do.

Overall I just want you all to remember that preparation and doing better moving forward is always your best bet. Sometimes we can't change the things in the future, and sometimes it is the past we like to dwell on but in either case it is important to come to terms with the fact that you do not have the power to change it. It does no good to sit around sulking about a breakup or scared about an approaching hurricane if you are doing nothing to soften the blow. Time is constantly moving forward if we like it or not. Each second we are alive is a second closer to the moment that our life comes to an end. The most important part is what we do in the moments in between. 

You May Also Like

0 comments